Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid-2009 MacBook Pro not waking up

Hey guys,

I'm running OS X 10.8.2 on my 13" mid-2009 MacBook Pro and I've been having a lot of trouble with it lately. When I close it, it goes to sleep (presumably) but when I open it back up it usually shows a blank screen. The little white sleeper light is still flashing slowly like it is when it's asleep. Every time it does this, I have to hold down the power button until it goes off and then power it up again. This is really annoying because I'm in college so I sometimes have to wait for twenty minutes before my computer is up and running, which means twenty minutes of being behind in class. Not fun.

Possible hardware issues:

• WDC drive: Disk Utility says okay
  • 8GB Corsair RAM: memtest says okay
  • battery: "service battery" status, ~750 cycles. The sleep issue persists even when plugged in so I don't think it's a battery dying issue
  • logic board: replaced logic board about 6 months after I got it due to a short in the audio jack
  • general: computer is very hot; fans running but not very high RPM

The only modifications I've made to it are put in a new hard drive (1TB Western Digital) and upgraded the RAM recently (to 8GB Corsair "Mac Memory").

Here are my hardware specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.47f2

Serial Number (system): ****

Hardware UUID: ****

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Possible software issues:

• upgrading from 10.6 to 10.8.2 without doing clean install
  • Symantec Endpoint Protection (required to connect to my school's WiFi)

I'm not sure if this is a software issue or a hardware issue. This has been happening for about a year now (even before I updated from 10.6), which leads me to think this is a hardware issue. I think one of my RAM slots is a little iffy as well because sometimes it shows 4GB/8GB, sometimes it shows all 8GB. I've ran memtest when my computer recognizes all 8GB and the RAM modules seem fine. My computer also gets very hot sometimes for no real reason (ie. just typing this with only Safari open). The sleep issue has happened almost every time. Last week, I did a "Repair Disk" on my WDC by booting up and holding Command+R. I think I closed my computer after I did that and came back and it worked as it should, so I thought I had fixed this issue. But now it has gone back to not waking up from sleep.

Sorry for the long post, but any insight anyone can offer is greatly appreciated. I really miss being able to use my lovely MBP to its fullest potential. Thank you!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 3, 2013 10:41 PM

14 replies

Feb 3, 2013 10:58 PM in response to R Rishi

I just don't like WD drives - over the years that I used them, I seemed to have nothing but trouble with them (both internal and external). So I'm a little prejudiced against WD. If I were you, I'd try a different internal drive to see if that solves as least some of the issues.

You could also try running the Apple Hardware Test (probably on the disc(s) that came with your computer? See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509) and see if it reports any errors.

Sorry that my first reaction is a failing HD - and for my general dislike for WD drives - but I would start with the AHT and if no errors, replacing the internal drive.

Clinton

Feb 4, 2013 6:24 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Hi Clinton,

Thank you for your reply. I'm in college so I don't have the discs with me. I tried booting up with the AHT by holding D at startup (and Option+D as well for network AHT), but it booted up as it regularly would.

I also looked at the WD diagnostics test but those all seem to be for Windows.

Any other ideas? I can have my parents send the 10.6 discs to me but if you have another idea that doesn't require those, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ryan

Feb 4, 2013 6:34 PM in response to R Rishi

R Rishi wrote:

I can have my parents send the 10.6 discs to me but if you have another idea that doesn't require those,

Your system discs are troubleshooting discs. You should never leave home without them. Have your parents send them to you. When received, make bootable copies of those discs and return the originals back to your parents while you keep the copies. This way, you will always have them with you while you are "away from home" for any reason.

User uploaded file

Feb 5, 2013 6:28 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

I ran the Apple Hardware Test and it told me everything was fine. Interestingly enough, the 'About' tab on the AHT only showed 4GB of RAM. If it is a problem with my Western Digital HD, how should I go about diagnosing that? Disk Utility fixes it but then it need repair only a few days later so it doesn't really get fixed. My WD warranty expires in May so it's still covered.

Feb 20, 2013 11:25 AM in response to R Rishi

UPDATE: I got a replacement drive from WD and installed it yesterday. My computer is waking up as normal so far, and I hope it stays that way! Interesting enough, the moment I booted up after installing ML, I checked the RAM in the "About this Mac" and it still only recognized 4GB. But the AHT reported no errors with the RAM so I'm thinking it is indeed a RAM slot issue and the AHT doesn't test the connection (but I could be wrong). It would be nice to be able to use all 8GB, but as long as my computer will wake up from sleep, I'm happy. Thanks everyone for your help!

Jun 12, 2013 2:27 PM in response to R Rishi

I feel your pain. I have had the same ongoing issue for more than 2 years with my mid 2009 13' MBP. All the same symptoms you report. I also had a diagnostics test at an Apple store which showed up nothing. And of course did the AHT which equally showed nothing. I have replace my HDD with an SSD and also replaced my optical drive with an internal caddy and 2nd SSD. This hasn't changed anything. Still all the same issues.

My MBP also gets very hot when not running much. I am visually impaired so I use the zoom feature a lot and did wonder if that was causing it to overheat, but I suspect this is not the case.

I don't really want to buy a new machine as I like the flexibility to upgrade this, and apart from the sleep issues the machine runs very well and very fast.

Unfortunitely I had a booking with a Genius Bar in the US while I was still under Apple Care less than a year after buying my Macbook Pro in New York when this issue started happening. I was travelling round the world at the and due to some schedule changes I didn't make it to the Genius Bar. I regret that now.

I have tried so many things that I think now I will just have to live with the problem. I can normally fix it and ensure the machine boots by turning it upside down as I boot it. I always know that it will sleep on boot if the keyboard doesn't illuminate. Hence how I ended up discovering that the keyboard always illuminated when I turned the machine upside down.

I hope you get your issue sorted out.

Jul 10, 2013 9:40 AM in response to R Rishi

I have also been having the exact same issues. I've heard that the issues have to do with the soldered connections on the logic board. Many electronics manufactured during that time period had begun using lead free solder, which after being heated and cooled many times will eventually crack and cause bad connections.

My 8 gb of ram often shows up as 4 as well. I've tried putting in only 4gb at a time and using the computer as is for a few weeks then switching the ram slots to see if one of them was defective but neither ram slot or card gave me trouble.

As your macbook tries to wake up it's not detecting some of your ram, where it had previously been storing your data, so it just doesn't know what to do.

I agree $250 is a steep price to pay for a mistake that Apple should be paying for. I agree as a student it used to be so nice when you could just open your macbook from sleep and bam have everything ready to go in a few seconds. Be very careful when restarting from a non-waking up mac, I screwed up my last hard drive manually turning it off like that for the same reason. If you have the time to manually shut down your mac everytime it will be worth it so that you don't lose everything, either way make sure you back up constantly!

Jul 12, 2013 12:24 AM in response to Kogenesis

Funny you should say that... I opened up my computer this past weekend and I got a flashing folder icon with a question mark (means that MBP can't find boot volume). I thought my hard drive had died but I tried to enter single user mode today and it started up completely normal and here I am!

A new computer if definitely in the near future. I just hope I don't lose anything before then!

Either way, thanks for the info. It would have bugged me for a very long time 😕

Jul 12, 2013 12:28 AM in response to R Rishi

I just hope I don't lose anything before then!

Begin keeping duplicate backups NOW. Use clones, Time Machine, whatever you wish (see ds store's Most commonly used backup methods).

I keep four clones and two Time Machine backups plus DVD archives. I've never lost anything yet. And, with my backup schemes, never will. Hard drives are cheap compared to data recovery.

Clinton

Mid-2009 MacBook Pro not waking up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.