Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error code 20600 when starting printer monitor ImageprografIPF5100 (canon)

Recently I bought a new MacBook Pro including OSx 10.8.2

I'm a photographer and use a Canon ImageprographIPF5100 to output my work.

I set up my new computer with help of the TimeMachine so I have completely the same environment as on my old MacBook pro running OSx 10.6

When I connected my printer it was clear that the current driver was not going to work on 10.8. On the Canon USA site I found the driver for my printer working on OSx 10.8 and installed it. The printer is connected to the computer with the USB port.

Right away it was clear something is wrong; after installing the driver the software asks me to point out the printer in a list, but the list is empty. After starting the printmonitor I get the error message "Error Code 20600 Failed to iniotialize communication module"

Looking at other discussions on this site I figure the old driver has not been completely whipe'd from the system. Is there someone who knows what to do?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), using Canon imageprografIPF5100

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 1:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 2:42 AM

The first action is to remove the current iPF5100 printer from Print & Scan.

Next action is to remove the supporting driver files. Open Finder and select Go > Go To Folder in the menubar. Then type in /Library/Printers/Canon and press Go. This will take you to the Canon folder where you will see the GARO folder. Trash this folder.

Still in Finder, navigate to the Applications folder and trash the Canon iPF folder (called also be called Canon GARO).

With this done, run the iPF5100 driver installer for 10.8, although if you are in a region that uses A size papers then it would be better not to use the driver from USA and use the following driver from Canon Australia.

http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0100489102.html

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2013 2:42 AM in response to michelsalters

The first action is to remove the current iPF5100 printer from Print & Scan.

Next action is to remove the supporting driver files. Open Finder and select Go > Go To Folder in the menubar. Then type in /Library/Printers/Canon and press Go. This will take you to the Canon folder where you will see the GARO folder. Trash this folder.

Still in Finder, navigate to the Applications folder and trash the Canon iPF folder (called also be called Canon GARO).

With this done, run the iPF5100 driver installer for 10.8, although if you are in a region that uses A size papers then it would be better not to use the driver from USA and use the following driver from Canon Australia.

http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0100489102.html

Apr 29, 2013 11:57 PM in response to PAHU

When installing the driver it asks for the region where you are - so the presets for the paper formats are the ones you need - it doesn't matter if you download from Canon USA or Canon Australia.

But good to know that CAnon Australia seems to be as fast with new drivers as Canon USA, I will check that in the future too 🙂

In Europe it takes awful long to get new drivers 😟

Error code 20600 when starting printer monitor ImageprografIPF5100 (canon)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.