Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet sharing not working

Internet is working over ethernet connected to Mac mini. Create wifi network on Mac mini and share the internet ethernet connection over Wifi. The Mac's connected to the Mac mini's wifi can browse, write and read folders on the Mac mini, but there is NO internet connection on the other machines. This just stopped working the other day. No updates performed, or any other software installed. I have restarted, disabled internet sharing, re-enabled it and I still have the same problem...

Thank you!

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 3:33 AM

11 replies

Feb 5, 2013 12:10 AM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua -

Thanks - it WORKED for the internet sharing, but as soon as that works now, then I can't see drives, shared folders or transfer files. WHY with (supposedly) the world's most sophisticted operating system and compents is this happening on Apple products?? It really peeves me off.

All machines are latest OS or iOS.

Any ideas....

Feb 5, 2013 11:55 AM in response to mswcpt

I've had trouble doing both at the same time ever since about 10.7.0

OSX seems less & less User oriented & more & more oriented towards Apple's ends. 😟

I don't know if there's a way around this File Sharing vs. Internet Sharing thing, but in the old days you could duplicate the Airport Interface & have Airport/Wifi Copy doing a different thing, though speed of both would be reduced.

so·phis·ti·cat·ed

/səˈfistiˌkātid/

Adjective

(of a machine, system, or technique) Developed to a high degree of complexity.

I was sure the definition was going to mention "snobby", but alas... 😉

Feb 5, 2013 9:36 PM in response to BDAqua

Well this morning, I started the machines up and so far I have both Internet sharing and file sharing working....

What I did notice though is this: on one of the portable machines - my Macbook Pro for example, once the file sharing has mounted the drives of the Mac mini, they disappear from the "shared" section of the Sidebar in FINDER but are available as virtual disks under "Macbook Pro" in the Sidebar. What the **** is going on here???!!

This is quite obviously a bug in OS 10.8.2 and should be reported as such.

Seems it sometimes starts without resolving its "complexity" allowing it to get the better of itself at times. Will post if it suddenly stops working again during the day... 😀

Feb 5, 2013 10:05 PM in response to BDAqua

(sent a previous posted reply to this, but it also disappeared....)

Well, this morning the following happened:

1. Started machines up. Both internet sharing and file sharing worked - For 5 mins.

2. What I noticed is that the shared section in the sidebar in Finder listed the Mac mini on my Macbook Pro for eg, but then it suddenly disappeared and was now visable as seperate drives in the window opened once clicked on my local machine (Macbook Pro) in the Devices section of the sidebar in Finder.

3. THEN - - - These disappeared and the file sharing was lost - try to re-connect from Finder - Go - Connect to server - and it says can't connect to Mac mini there is a problem with network. See screengrab.

User uploaded file

Really - this is pathetic!

I think this is a bug in OS 10.8.2. and should be reported.

Its "complexity" is getting the better of itself it seems.... 😟

Feb 11, 2013 12:43 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks - I wrote to them but it still doesn't solve the problem. Look here - I took a screen grab of the system preferences screen with Internet sharing ON but look at the network icon (status) top right of the pic - no arrow - it is NOT shared. This is a very serious problem with Mac Os 10.8.2 in my opinion.

User uploaded file

Feb 11, 2013 10:14 AM in response to mswcpt

Yws, since 10.7 Either File Sharing or Internet Sharing has been messed up for me.

This icon will appear if you create a wireless network between two or more AirPort-enabled computers without using an AirPort Base Station. Other AirPort-enabled computers within range can join the network you created by choosing it from their AirPort status icon, or by choosing it from the Network Name pop-up menu in the AirPort pane of Network preferences.

Computer-to-computer networks are not compatible with WPA or WPA2 protected networks.

Click on that icon & quit/remove the Computer to Computer network, does Internet Sharing then work?

Feb 11, 2013 10:29 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi again -

If I click on that, I get a drop down showing the connection but no option to disconnect it, only to go to "internet sharing". In there the same dialog is present as the screen grab I posted yesterday. If I follow the steps back and remove the created WIFI netowrk completely, by unchecking "internet sharing" in that dialog on the bottom left, I go back to the icon you mention and there I can create a new network. Creating the new network enables me to create one with a 40 or 128 bit WEP which I do by making a basic 5 character ASCII pin and then the network is made. I connect to this and enter password on my Macbook Pro, iPhone 5 or iPad 3 (I just about have it all! 😝) . Then I edit the conneciton by sharing the internet by going sys preferences, sharing, checking the internet sharing box. I should have file and internet sharing on the mobile devices now... but this is intermittent as we have established. Perhaps I should buy an Airport/Extreme to plug into my ADSL modem and use that instead?

Internet sharing not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.