Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerPC

A few minutes ago, i downloaded "N, the way of the ninja".. Problem is, it wont run because PowerPC isn't supported!

I was wondering, is there any way around this? Is there another way for me to play the game?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 2:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 8:41 AM

You need to use a newer version of it if any, or run Mac OS X Server 10.6 in emulation, or boot Mac OS X 10.6 from another drive or partition, which isn't possible on all Macs.

(76031)

11 replies

Feb 4, 2013 9:34 AM in response to WilliamØ

I can confirm your experience as I just downloaded and got the nmessage

User uploaded file

I have searched the web and there is almost no info regarding the Mac version except a mention of troiuble. It looks like a fascinating game so I will try it on a G4 powerbook I have. If you had Boot Camp/ Windows it might work. I'll try that and get back for a report.

Feb 4, 2013 12:17 PM in response to edex67

Please do not confuse the OP: it is NOT a Classic game. As shown: N, the way of the Ninja, is running in Snow Leopard in my post (NOTE: you should link to my post in our other thread on the subject of SheepShaver, as I list this site for SheepShaver as well as another and more importantly, sites that describe Chubby Bunny).

I have little experience with VMWare Fusion, other than to install Tiger in it once for a project that quickly evaporated soon after my installation success...

I find running Snow Leopard in Parallels a very acceptable experience, especially on my 2011 Mac Mini, which I increased to 8GB of RAM. Running it with only 4GB of RAM on my 2009 MacBook Pro has a noticable slowdown in performance.

I also like Parallels ability to run Windows XP from my Bootcamp partition and I do not know if VMWare Fusion has that capability.

Feb 4, 2013 4:47 PM in response to WilliamØ

As expected "N" v1.4 works well on a G4 powerBook. However it also unexpectedly works on a 2006 MacBook 1,1 with Mac OS X 10.6.8. No glitches, no messages, and no tweeks needed, It just works.

The PC version works with Windows XP both with Virtual PC ( G4 PB) and Boot Camp (MacBook).

The MacBook has an Intel Core Duo (not Core2 Duo) cpu which may be something but still it is not a PPC.

Go Figure! 😕

User uploaded file

Feb 4, 2013 5:28 PM in response to dalstott

dalstott wrote:

As expected "N" v1.4 works well on a G4 powerBook. However it also unexpectedly works on a 2006 MacBook 1,1 with Mac OS X 10.6.8. No glitches, no messages, and no tweeks needed, It just works.

That is not totally "unexpected."

Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 has the optional ability to install Rosetta, which is the software also present in Tiger and Leopard, that transparently emulates the PowerPC environment and runs these programs.

When Apple's license to incorporate Rosetta into Lion (and now Mt. Lion) expired; it is its absence that causes all these problems in running PowerPC software on the modern Macs (and those upgraded, as well).

Hence, that is why my solution incorporates installing Snow Leopard (with Rosetta) into Parallels so that Lion and Mt. Lion users can gain access to PowerPC software again.

Feb 4, 2013 7:29 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

Good call MichaelLAX.

I had forgotten completely about Rosetta and Snow Leopard which is such a great feature of OS X 10.6.8. It is so seamless and works so well it could have fooled me into believeing it was a miracle. I think Apple made a mistake when they discontinued Rosetta especially when you become familiar with the backward compatibility of Windows.

Thanks

Feb 4, 2013 7:49 PM in response to dalstott

It is somewhat ironic that you use that language. This is what I say in my "canned" response for people with generalized PowerPC applications problems:

Unfortunately you got caught up in the minor miracle of Rosetta. Originally licensed by Apple when it migrated from the PowerPC CPU platform that it had used from the mid-1990's until the Intel CPU platform in 2006, Rosetta allowed Mac users to continue to use their library of PPC software transparently in emulation.

However, Apple's license to continue to use this technology expired with new releases of OS X commencing with Lion (and now Mountain Lion). While educational efforts have been made over the last 6 years, the fact is that Rosetta was SO successful that many users were caught unaware UNTIL they upgraded to Lion or Mountain Lion.

And there lies the rub: Microsoft Windows is backward compatible because it was always run on the Intel CPU platform. Apple did not make this change until 2006 and then only was able to license the underlying software required to make Rosetta, which license then expired.

Even if it had not expired, there are multiple arguments for eliminating Rosetta at some point. Just like with the Classic Environment found in OS X through TIger, a time came when it was time to stop making older Classic Software workable in later releases of OS X -- similarly about 6 years.

Let us not forget how Apple marketed Rosetta when it first arrived on the scene:

User uploaded file

PowerPC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.