Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac wont startup up properly and freezes on all apps all the time

My iMac when I turn it on starts up normally and then when it loads the page with all the apps it doesn't load up properly and it's frozen. This has only begun happening today previous to this I did not have a problem with starting up I just had a constant problem with apps loading up slowly e.g Firefox being slow.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 5:56 AM

4 replies

Feb 4, 2013 5:58 AM in response to Aaliyah T

REPAIRING DISK - About OS X Recovery - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718.

- restart your computer hold down command + R keys on the keyboard to boot you into Lion / Mountain Lion Recovery mode

- select english as your main language then the continue arrow

- select "Disk Utility" on the resulting screen then 'Disk Utility' ---

- When prompted to select a disk volume or image, select the 'Macintosh HD' in the left column

- ensure the the "first aid" tab is highlighted blue in the middle of the screen

- click the button at the bottom that says 'REPAIR DISK' .......NOT "Repair disk permissions"

- this process will take a few minutes to run. It will indicate it's done, by scrolling to the bottom of the "details area" displaying "The Macintosh HD appears OK"

If you get any other message OTHER than "The Macintosh HD appears OK", like "the Macintosh HD was repaired successfully" run the "Disk Repair" again, until it displays "The Macintosh HD appears OK".

Once done, restart the computer as normal

Feb 4, 2013 6:11 AM in response to Aaliyah T

Start out by trying to reboot in to Safe Mode. Restart the computer and hold the left shift key until the grey apple logo appears. Let the computer boot - don't worry that it is taking lots longer than necessary - during a safe boot the hard driive directory is checked and repaired (if possible) and temporary files are repaired. Now empty the trash can if there's anything in it.

I suggested the Safe Mode boot to get those cache files erased and to have the drive directory repaired - either or both might be the problem. It is also possible that your hard drive is too full, you have too little RAM, or something else. So if your computer is still acting up after the safe boot, come back and let us know along with telling us about your free drive space and RAM.

Feb 4, 2013 8:12 AM in response to Aaliyah T

Thanks. I did that and it seems to load up fine including the apps. I have also tried accessing internet which also opens ok but seems to load slowly sometimes and searches for things slowly. I also tried opening some other apps, some opened fine others a bit slower than others.

As for space available it says 577GB free out of 999.35GB.

Seems to be half fixed, Any more suggestions?

Feb 4, 2013 8:27 AM in response to Aaliyah T

Your problems are specific enough to give me any clues as to what is happening. Some applications launch faster than others and when a program launches more slowly than normal the cause depends at least in part on which program it is. Internet slowless may have nothing to do with your computer.

If you want to pursue the problem perhaps the first two things to do would be to run Disk Utility and verify the disk - not repair permissions. (Repairing the permissions can't hurt but probably won't help either.) Does the program report that the disk is okay? Select the top hard drive icon and look at the bottom of the dialog box. Does the S.M.A.R.T. status report Verified?

The second thing would be to create a new user account and see if the computer behaves the same or differently when you are using the new account.

My iMac wont startup up properly and freezes on all apps all the time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.