Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid-project upgrade from FCP 6 to FCP 7 - concerns

I have had FCP 7 sitting on my desk for 8 months. I wanted to finish all jobs in FCP 6 before upgrading in case there was a workflow change. I was afraid to get buried in manual reading if soemthing didn't work the same as before. Seems I never have all jobs finished and want to upgrade now.

Can I expect there to be any noticeable operational differences between 6 & 7 that will slow me down or confuse me in the upgrade? Even in Compressor, DVD Studio or Motion? There must be some decent changes, I expect that. Just which ones might stop me in my tracks? I'd rather se it coming then lose billable time.

Thanks in advance!

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 6:41 AM

the problem with upgrades is that you can have issues, although they are not common. They can be caused by incompatible plugins, conflicts with other apps, etc.

WAIT. Your profile says you have a powermac. fcp7 is not compatible with pre-intel machines.

If you have an intel mac, I strongly suggest you clone your startup drive so you can quickly restore your system to fcp6 without any issues.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2494

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2013 6:41 AM in response to PSavigny

the problem with upgrades is that you can have issues, although they are not common. They can be caused by incompatible plugins, conflicts with other apps, etc.

WAIT. Your profile says you have a powermac. fcp7 is not compatible with pre-intel machines.

If you have an intel mac, I strongly suggest you clone your startup drive so you can quickly restore your system to fcp6 without any issues.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2494

Feb 4, 2013 5:57 PM in response to PSavigny

FCP 6 to 7 is pretty smooth. It can get a little tricky when you're dealing with clips that FCP generates (like the Text Generator may format text differently so you have to go through and tweak each title card). Also, if you were using LiveType files in a Sequence, those clips may render differently as well.

If you're not doing it already, make a duplicate of your FCP6 project file in the Finder. Add something like "_FCP6" to the original project file and "_FCP7" to the duplicate, opening the duplicate in FCP7 to update it (it will permanantly become a FCP7 file when you save). Alternatively, you can open the original FCP6 file and use File > Save As to save a FCP7 project.

Also, as long as you're running a version of Mac OS X and hardware that supports both FCP6 and FCP7, you can have FCP6 (Final Cut Studio 2) and FCP7 (Final Cut Studio 3) installed at the same time. Before you install Final Cut Studio 3, go through your Applications folder and add the version number to each of the Final Cut Studio applications (Final Cut Pro should be renamed "Final Cut Pro 6", DVD Studio Pro should be renamed "DVD Stuio Pro 4.2", Motion should be renamed "Motion 3", Compressor should be renamed "Compressor 3", Soundtrack Pro should be renamed "Soundtrack Pro 2" and Color should be renamed "Color 1"). If you don't, the Final Cut Studio 3 install will replace the Final Cut Pro Studio 2 applications with the same name (if I remember correctly Soundtrack changed names slightly, but I would rename it anyway) Of course, double-clicking a FCP file will use the newer version, so you may need to use drag and drop or control click > open with... to open your FCP6 projects in FCP6.

If you'd rather not run FCP6 and FCP7 on the same startup volume, you can clone your boot drive and then install Final Cut Studio 3. You can reboot for the version you want to edit with (as Michael suggested in his post).

-Warren

Mid-project upgrade from FCP 6 to FCP 7 - concerns

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.