Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Make Programs Launch in Background?

Daily scenario for me: I'm in a program, say Pages or Todo (tasks magaker,) and I want to open something that takes a while to open, say iTunes or Mail, then switch to the original program and want to keep working without the new program interrupting me.

Googling, I have found two main suggestions: Make these programs Launch on Startup Items and set for Hide, which is a workaround I don't want for multiple reasons, and some suggestions about entering code into the Terminal on a per program basis, such as found on this external thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/225343-load-programs-back ground.html

I've done simple Terminal commands but I generally stay away from complicated ones, as seems suggested by the multiple steps prescribed to get what I want, besides which, I really don't want the tedium of assigning a script for individual programs (and having to do it for new programs in the future.)

Any simple way to do this? Is it available in Mountain Lion? (I'm planning to upgrade soon.)

Many thanks,

Brian

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 7:26 AM

1 reply

Feb 4, 2013 8:45 AM in response to Hepcat B

Try a simple Automator application. Open Automator, select Application for type of document, and press the Choose button. On the left, select "Actions". On the left pane, select "Library". Click the "Actions" button above it. In the search are just to the right, type "launch", which should bring up the Finder action "Launch Application". Drag the "Launch Application" choice to the right pane. (It may take a few seconds as it builds your list of Applications.) Select the one you want from the list (such as iTunes.app). Select File > Save, and choose a location (such as your Desktop). (Or move it to Macintosh HD > Users > User > Library > Workflows, or put an alis to it in your Dock.) Then, I'd probably use Command-Tab to switch to the (already-open) application you were using.

Make Programs Launch in Background?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.