Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't change media type to Audiobook

I usually use Audiobook Builder to create audio books from CDs I get from the library. Occasionally Audiobook Builder fails and the only way to get the book into iTunes is to let iTunes import it. Unfortunately, it classifies it incorrectly as "Music" as opposed to an Audiobook. I've gone into Get Info for the item(s) and changed the genre to Audiobooks but it still remains in Music in iTunes.

Is anyone else having this problem, and is there a way to overcome this problem? If there's a way to do it, I don't see how. I'm running 11.0.1.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 8:32 AM

39 replies

Jun 10, 2013 5:44 AM in response to BocaBoy

Sinoue, thanks for your input.

The answer to this ended up being that Audiobook had to be chosen from both the Info and Options tabs of the Get Info dialog box. Of the two, it's the Options checkbox that controls where the content shows. It took me awhile, but this seems to have solved the problem. I'm not sure why this option was grayed out in the original submission, but with the latest release of iTunes, this problem seems to have been resolved and the option is now available.

User uploaded file

Jun 13, 2013 5:30 AM in response to BocaBoy

Doing this makes no difference for me. I'm able to choose "Audiobook" for the Media Kind, but I find it does not stick. It just reverts to Music when I get info again. But it does, having chosen Audiobook for Media Kind, put the files into the Books section.

I really need to get the Audiobook setting to stick for the Media Kind somehow. I think it's attrocious that this basic funcitonality isn't working. This is for iTunes 11.0.4 now. Still not working.

Jul 23, 2013 10:40 AM in response to BocaBoy

So, the deal for me was kind of simple. Since iTunes Match was engaged it was not allowing me to switch my audio book from music to audio book. So, what I did was, drag the media to the desktop, then I deleted the media from within iTunes. When it asked me to delete from iTunes Match / Cloud as well, I said, yes. Then I reimported and before it 'Synced' up to Match again. I was able to 'get info' and switch all from music to audio book. Hope this helps.

Sep 18, 2013 7:13 AM in response to Matt Miller3

I have the same issue with audiobooks, some podcasts and even some ring tones that relentlessly appear within the Music folder no matter what you do.

I did discover that switching iTunes Match to 'off' would make the previously grayed-out Media Kind option re appear for changing (although note: there's strangly no Ringtone option here). This then enabled iTunes to automatically re-locate the Media Kind to it's correct location when selected within options. Problem is that I've paid for iTunes Match and would prefere if it was not disabled but as you may be aware, is that when re-enabling iTunes Match the problem re-appears again.

I have read Matt Miller3's solution and will no doubt have to perform that task as a fix (thanks Matt Miller3). But I'm left wondering on a couple of issues; firstly, is iTunes Match incapable of auto-refreshing changed and edited information & attributes to the referenced and stored information within the cloud? (I am shocked), secondly, if dragging all those files/audio books in question out of iTunes (with Match disabled), then deleting within iTunes before finally draging back into iTunes and setting the correct Medi Kind in Options before re-enabling Match, does any re-compression take place when dragging out of and then back into iTunes resulting in a slighlty lesser quality that before?

Mmmm.... as a side note iTunes Match does have some surprises and I was caught out with many higher quality lossles files not being matched even though they're probably the most widely available albums in history which I had manually added from my CD albums (Bad, Dangerous,Blood on the Dance Floor, etc). I would have thought that Match at the very least would run a kind of Shazam short listening test regardles of stored song quality type and then match and make available in the cloud as Apple's iTunes Plus only quality - this would have been more than acceptable.

Sep 30, 2013 8:50 AM in response to BocaBoy

ℹ I had the same problem. AFTER i had imported the audiobook c.d i went onto my music library and highlighted all of the tracks. After higlighting I right clicked and selected get info. i went to the options tab and changed the media kind to audiobook. I did change the genre (on info tab) to books and spoken. I dont know if this needed to be done but you can try it. I could then change the option for it to be missed out of shuffle and to stay in order. FOR ALL OF THIS TO WORK YOU HAVE TO HIGHLIGHT ALL OF THE TRACKS AND GET GROUP INFO.

Hope this helps.

And good luck! 🙂

Can't change media type to Audiobook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.