Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn off Cell phone function on iPhone 5

First let me be clear. I'm not talking about disconnecting my cell phone service with my carrier.

Onto the question:

I know how to turn of cellular data on my iPhone 5.

Settings -> General -> Cellular Data "Off"

But sometimes I need to turn off the Cell Phone function as well but still be able to use my device, uninterupted.

I know this sounds weird but it's true.

Any help would be appreciated.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 9:22 AM

16 replies

Jan 23, 2017 10:17 AM in response to Hind_one

Hind_one wrote:

this function is not found in 5s General -> Cellular Data "Off"

It was never found there.

If you want to do what the original poster wanted, follow these directions: Put your phone in Airplane mode, either through Settings>Airplane Mode>On, or by using the button in the Control Center, the one that looks like an airplane. Then, Turn WiFi back on.

If you just want to turn cellular data off, go to Settings>Cellular>Cellular Data Off.

Feb 4, 2013 11:22 PM in response to Event Video Guy

Yes. Not a tool, a setting. And that's what it's for.

Alternately, if desperate and if a GSM model, take the SIM out and place in a safe spot. No SIM, no link. Just be sure to turn the phone OFF before you take the SIM out or put it back in. When you turn it on, it will warn you there's no SIM in there and behave like an iPod Touch on steroids. Just don't have the Skype app in there and set to auto-connect, cause they WILL call you thru it, SIM or not, thru Wi-Fi.

User uploaded file

How to turn off Cell phone function on iPhone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.