Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot access share point from windows

Hello,

I have a problem that is driving me crazy.

We have in our office a Mac Mini with Mountain Lion server. in the office there are several macs and PCs accessing the file server without any problems. They can access all the files in a share point using the same username/password, belonging to the administrator group.

We have a new PC, that we want to set as having access to only one subfolder (inside the share point normally accessed by the others). I created a new group and a new user (a user not an administrator).

I created the new sharepoint related to the subfolder (AFP and SMB as protocols) adding read&write permissions for the new user. When I try to acccess the sharepoint from the new PC, the username/password is accepted, but I cannot see or access any files in the server.

I tried to modify ACL permissions, propagate the permissions to the subfolders... with no success.

What am I doing wrong?

Kind Regards

Luca

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 10:11 AM

6 replies

Feb 4, 2013 1:32 PM in response to UptimeJeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your answer, but I have already tried to stop and restart the file sharing service by using the big on/off button on top of the file sharing window. I also tried to restart the server (seems to be the answer to all problems in Windows), but the result is the same.

I tried to give the new users administrator rights. In this case the user get access to all share points, and this defeats the objective to restrict the access to a specific share point.

Luca

Feb 5, 2013 12:16 AM in response to S_eye

Just another thing.

When I access the server from a mac using AFP and the new username/password I can see all the different shares. Nevertheless the I try to access any of them I get the error "The share does not exist on the server. Please check the share name, and then try again."

Could it be that the permissions got somehow corrupted?

Would it help if I rebuild the server from scratch? (my present configuration is a migration from Snow Leopard Server)

help!!

Feb 5, 2013 12:34 PM in response to UptimeJeff

Hi Jeff,

When I try from the new accout I get the message:

"The share does not exist on the server. Please check the share name, and then try again."

When I try from one of the administrator accounts I have no problems:

Here is what I have from the server log, the interesting part is starting from Feb 5 21:31:30 (isabella is the new username).

Feb 5 21:31:16 server.local com.apple.SecurityServer[21]: Succeeded authorizing right 'system.privilege.admin' by client '/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/libexec/ServerEventAgent' [99] for authorization created by '/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/libexec/ServerEventAgent' [99] (2,0)

Feb 5 21:31:16 server.local com.apple.SecurityServer[21]: Succeeded authorizing right 'system.privilege.admin' by client '/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.apple.serverd' [66] for authorization created by '/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/libexec/ServerEventAgent' [99] (100000,0)

Feb 5 21:31:30 server.local digest-service[12523]: digest-request: uid=0

Feb 5 21:31:30 server.local digest-service[12523]: digest-request: init request

Feb 5 21:31:30 server.local digest-service[12523]: digest-request: init return domain: SERVER server: SERVER

Feb 5 21:31:30 server.local digest-service[12523]: digest-request: init request

Feb 5 21:31:30 server.local digest-service[12523]: digest-request: init return domain: SERVER server: SERVER

Feb 5 21:31:30 server.local digest-service[12523]: digest-request od: ok user=SERVER\\isabella proto=ntlmv2 flags: ENC_128, NEG_VERSION, NEG_TARGET_INFO, NEG_NTLM, NEG_TARGET, NEG_UNICODE

Feb 5 21:31:46 server.local com.apple.SecurityServer[21]: Succeeded authorizing right 'system.privilege.admin' by client '/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/libexec/ServerEventAgent' [99] for authorization created by '/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/libexec/ServerEventAgent' [99] (2,0)

Feb 5 21:31:46 server.local com.apple.SecurityServer[21]: Succeeded authorizing right 'system.privilege.admin' by client '/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.apple.serverd' [66] for authorization created by '/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/libexec/ServerEventAgent' [99] (100000,0)

cannot access share point from windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.