Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Mini Replacement Factory Scratched

I am now on my third iPad mini. The first one I exchanged hoping that it would fix my wifi problems which, of course, it didn't. Well, and also because it came with a scratch on the screen. The second one I got had a very loose lock button that would rattle about and cause a disturbing clicking noise when using the screen. I am now, as said, on my third unit. Now, almost a week after receiving the unit, I took it out of the case and took a closer look, noticing there are quite a few scratches on the back apple logo as well as the actual aluminium. I am using a case with micro fiber lining since I received this unit.

Do you think I will be able to return it?

iPad, iOS 6.1, iPad mini!

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 12:41 PM

8 replies

Feb 4, 2013 12:53 PM in response to TriSpy

Does it really matter that much?

It will minimally affect resale value, doesn't affect functionality, and you are using a case that hides it anyway. You probably should have caught it when accepting the exchange.

My replacement iPhone 5 came with scratches on the back as well. It bugged me for the first few days but I'm over it.

I don't think you can return it unless you can find a legitimate functionality issue.

Feb 4, 2013 12:57 PM in response to cruzmisl

Well, taking into consideration the fact that I am a student, and that the iPad costs 130€ (or $) more than the competition I do expect things to be perfect. I went the Apple route because everybody around me did, and I thought it would be a save way to go.

And here I am, with a unit that has a scratched home button, small scratch on the volumer button, a scratched Apple logo and two scratches on the aluminium back that are atleast 2 or 3 cm long.

Feb 6, 2013 6:33 AM in response to Dartiesdad

Yes I know, I was just asking other people for advice.

My original problem was just the iPad mini coming scratched, and I was asking people if they knew I was able to return it or not. I don't see what your problem is with that?

I don't know about you, but everytime I want to go to the Apple Store that is nearest to me, I have to buy a train ticket, which costs me more than 5€. Since I am still in school, and this is already my third replacement unit, I am really not in the position of spending another 5€ on another ticket without being sure if I will be able to get a replacement or not. But, since it has a dead pixel anyway, it shouldn't be a problem...

Feb 11, 2013 3:41 AM in response to TriSpy

I don't see why you can't return a defective product.

I was wondering if the mini had the same issues as the iphone 5, ipod touch 5, and ipads. Seems the answer is yes. Not the answer I wanted, but it will save me the frustration of dealing with defect after defect. It's a shame purchasing IOS devices is like gambling these days.

Feb 11, 2013 12:28 PM in response to dalsoon

Well, I returned it and got a new one. At least this one doesn't have any scratches, but the screen is only slightly better. There are a few spots on the display, where the pixels reflect light in a weird color. Hard to explain, but my old one had it too. The Apple technician told me that this could be the same throughout the whole batch of devices and that I should come back in a few weeks when a new shipment of devices arrives.
So, I am on my fourth one right now, and already I can, if I want to, get myself number five.

iPad Mini Replacement Factory Scratched

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.