Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Log-In Issues with Lion 10.7 on Mac Mini 5,1

Hi guys;

A strange issue with restarting and logging back in to my mac-mini [ 5,1 with the latest revision of Lion ] has arisen and I can't seem to find a solution anywhere.

I was using the latest revsion of Opera which was running unusually slow, so I decided to re-boot;

[ this is my first mac, so took this action as a matter of course coming from a PC background ].

It took a while to reboot [ with the standard light grey screen and white apple logo ], with the end result being the dark grey woven background, the dark grey apple logo, a circular icon in the centre of the screen below the apple with an owl's face and the name of the mac below it; three options are down the bottom, 'sleep' [ with a circle icon and a line inside of it at the bottom ], 'Restart' [ with a circle igon and a reverse 'play' icon inside of it ], and 'Shut Down' [ which has the standard 'power on-off' symbol; Refer image below:

User uploaded file

Strangely, none of those options are selectable; I'm using the apple wireless keyboard and trackpad which seem to be operating normally;

I tried a hard restart with the power button and rebooted to the same screen; I tried again in safe mode and this time a password dialogue appeared below the name of the mac; I entered my password which resulted in this screen:

User uploaded file

My preference was to create a new keychain because I recently reset the password because I couldn't remember the old one [ a password I entered in a hurry with the Apple salesperson standing right next to me upon set-up ]; However - the trackpad couldn't select the option, nor either of the other two options, so I hit enter on the keyboard to 'update keychain password'. I couldn't proceed anyway because I don't know the old password.

So I cancelled the operation and then my desktop screen slowly faded in [ stuttering like a very slow camera shutter ]; It took a few seconds to load everything and I attempted to use various apps including Opera, which all worked ok - took a few seconds to 'warm up' but eventually all worked as per normal - except Launchpad;

Launchpad struggles to appear [ fading in with the stuttering I mentioned above, and similarly upon swiping left to see the adjacent page ]; I tried for about half hour to see if it would come good, to no avail.

I rebooted again and was faced with the Owl of Death screen that I started with. The mac is not overheating or anything like that.

Any help would be much appreciated; I've made no changes to the mac apart from [ finally ] getting a cable broadband connection last week; the mac is connected via ethernet to a Netgear CG3100, which seems fine.

It's always on, just in sleep mode, and always connected to a Sony KDL-40NX720 television, a superdrive and the wireless keyboard and trackpad when in-use. Log-in is not normally required upon restart, just loads directly to the desktop. I've not had any issues with this computer up until now. I recently performed a software update after getting the cable connection and all software is up to date.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 1:44 PM

There are no replies.

Log-In Issues with Lion 10.7 on Mac Mini 5,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.