Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp - best install SEQUENCE?

i'll be doing the following 4 upgrades & wondered WHAT SEQUENCE i should do this in for best results.

on my Mac Pro (5,1) Lion, I want to:

a- install Win7Pro OEM via Bootcamp on a new dedicated SSD drive for Windows only

b- upgrade my OS X SSD Boot drive from Lion to Mtn Lion

c- clone my OS X SSD Boot drive from current SSD to a new larger capacity SSD

d- start backing up to a new time machine disk

What is the best ORDER to do this in, so earlier steps do not impact later steps? and WHY? example: b,a,c,d

ps: all I know for sure is to do "d" LAST (tm gets confused when OS changes & wasted a lot of space last time i did teh 1st backup afetr an OS change)

thks!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 5:45 PM

4 replies

Feb 5, 2013 8:02 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

thanks for the reply, Bob! unfortunately your reply is a bit cryptic, and i don't really understand - could you perhaps clarify?

you also mention putting Windows on my OS X boot drive, but that is not what i'm doing. to be clear, here is my intended setup:

optical drive compartment: OS X boot SSD (but wanting to replace with higher capacity SSD)

bay1: SSD (blank at the moment) - for dedicated use by my Windows install

bay2: HD with all my Mac Data

bay3: empty

bay4: HD for time machine backups

Feb 5, 2013 3:57 PM in response to saturnotaku

saturnotaku wrote:

He's saying that your plan won't work. Windows must be installed on the same drive as OS X.

i'm not sure that is accurate. i've seen references on this forum of Mac Pro folks using a dedicated drive for their Win 7 installs.

Apple says in their FAQ:

"Boot Camp Assistant creates a second partition on your existing startup disk for the Microsoft Windows operating system, or allows you to install Microsoft Windows on another drive if you have more than one internal hard drive installed."

And "The Hatter" (a frequent poster on this forum) recommends a dedicated drive for windows in this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3413300?answerId=16454063022#16454063022

Boot Camp - best install SEQUENCE?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.