Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lightning/USB Data Rate Measurement

Is there a way to measure the rate of data transfer in real time in Mountain Lion? I'd like to know just how fast my lightning cable is connected to a USB 2.0 port vs a regular USB cord, specifically from my iPad. Backups seem to take just as long with the new cord vs the old. Anyone know anything?

OS X Mountain Lion, iPhone 4 32gig, aTV2, iPad4,Shuffle

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 8:31 PM

3 replies

Feb 4, 2013 8:41 PM in response to c.worley

Well, a lightning cable can transfer data about 50x faster than a hard drive can, so measuring it will mostly just tell you the speed of the drive, as it's the limiting factor.

The only real way to test it is between super-fast devices, like 10 drive RAID systems or the like.

Also, if you're connecting the lightning cable to a USB port (via some sort of converter?), it's going to transfer at USB speeds. To get the speed you need to go from lightning to lightning and have a really fast drive or device on the other end.

Feb 5, 2013 3:25 AM in response to c.worley

The Lightning connector is just a new interface to

USB to the new Apple devices. All iDevices, whether

using the new interface or the old 30 pin connector

communicate via USB 2.0. So, bottom line is that

the transfer speeds are limited by USB2.0 and how

fast the devices themselves can transfer data.

Bottom line, the cables themselves have no effect

on transfer rates.

Lightning/USB Data Rate Measurement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.