Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Library Backup

I'm using Time Machine for my regular backups, so I assume my Aperture library is being backed up. I also backup to a vault periodically.

Since my Time Machine and Vault are both on-site, I'd like to make sure that my Aperture Library is also backed up off-site. I use an online backup utility--what file(s) do I need to ensure are backed up in order to protect my library?

Thanks.

iMac Intel, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 10:01 PM

6 replies

Feb 4, 2013 11:32 PM in response to Poiks

what file(s) do I need to ensure are backed up in order to protect my library?

You need a backup of the complete Aperture library package "Aperture Library. aplibrary", also of any original images that are referenced.

Have you checked, if your online backup utility works well with MacOS X and can restore aliases and links correctly? For example, putting an Aperture library into a dropbox folder and syncing it there will break it for sure.

I'd try to create a small test library, back it up, also backup increamental changes, and try to restore from the backup. Does it work well?

Regards

Léonie

Feb 5, 2013 4:40 AM in response to Poiks

If you cannot confirm that the on-line back-up works reliably, you can always just make a second vault on a second portable drive, and keep one of the two off-site at all times (never have your three copies of your Library* in the same location).

Slightly less secure, but still very good, is to use Time Machine as your first back-up, and your Vault as your second. Except when up-dating your Vault, store it off-site.

*working copy, Vault1 on Drive1, Vault2 on Drive2.

Feb 5, 2013 8:43 AM in response to Poiks

Another option is multiple Time Machine backups on separate external drives. You can rotate the drives offsite periodically. Or you could buy a fire-proof safe and rotate the backups between the safe and your Mac. Here's a Macworld article on keeping multiple Time Machine backups.

But the online backup is obviously more convenient and more likely to be up to date.

Aperture Library Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.