Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Amount of RAM needed

I have a 2.3GHz 13.3 INch MAcBook Pro with 4GB of RAM. I do a little bit of Video Editing but quite a bit of encoding, plus DJ packagesliek Traktor. I also rum programs like MATLAB very frequently. I am thining of upgrading my RAM but was wondering if I can upgrade with this model to 16GB? Is this worth it or would it be a waste ad would I be better just upgrading to 8GB?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 13' 2.3 GHz i5 4GB RAM Early 2011

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 1:26 AM

2 replies

Feb 5, 2013 4:00 AM in response to MattyMiles

An early 2011 MBP has the following RAM specifications: 204-pin PC-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM. Make certain that you do not deviate from them if you want to avoid unnecessary future problems.

8 GB RAM upgrade is a good idea. A 16 Gb upgrade will only be rarely used when you have many applications open and are using some very 'heavy duty ' applications. A year ago I would have tried to dissuade you from a 16 GB upgrade due to cost, but now it can be done for less than $90, so if that amount is within your means, do so. Understand that there will be no increase in speed when using 'normal' applications such as web browsing or text editing.

I recommend OWC and Crucial as sources for Mac compatible RAM.

If you desire a noticeable performance increase, a SSD will do it, but they are still too expensive for what they offer. Other have different opinions.

Ciao.

Amount of RAM needed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.