Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Airport Express working but amber light blinks

I just got my new Airport Express today to replace a Linksys router which was frustrating me trying to get it updated. W no clear instructions & taking huors of my time yesterday. I thought the Apple Airport Express would be simple like they show on the website.

After frustration in getting it to work w having to reset a couple of times by unplugging cable modem & airport, finally green light came on w internet conenction.

Earlier I had green light but no internet connection.

After the last reset I waited & finally the green light came on & I opened Safari & it was connecting. But then the light changed to blinking amber, but I'm still connecting--typing this.

But Airport Utility shows under status

No DNS Servers

Internet Connection -Airport base station does not have a valid IP address

I'm not sure just what those messages mean or how it works without a valid IP address

Reading about internet connectivity problems I've noticed that interference was a big concern. I can see 6 full scale wifi networks & 4 more that are 1 bar short of full strength.

I'm in a townhome complex w people on either side of me sharing a wall. My next door neighbor on 1 side has a MacBookPro newer than mine & an iPhone 5 & may very well be using an Airport.

I guess I should ask him about it & which # he is using. He is also an IT guy so presumably understands all this better than

I hadn't set up my new network on my iPhone but just now trying to do that & the little circle is still spinning after I entered my password & selected join.

So not sure what to do about all this. I'll be shutting down my MacBookPro for the night soon.

AirPort Express-OTHER

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 12:48 AM

16 replies

Feb 5, 2013 8:32 AM in response to KathiMR

Well, the DNS server problem just means that your AirPort cannot resolve an DNS address (such as www.google.com), but your computer probably already has DNS servers in it. Try changing the DNS numbers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 on your AirPort.

Interference could be a problem, if you use the 5GHz network then this won't be a problem. Your neighbour may also be on the 5GHz band, but there will still be less interference. 5GHz settings can be accessed where you change the name of your WiFi network in AirPort Utility. This will create a second WiFi network which operates on a different radio band.

Feb 5, 2013 11:45 AM in response to edex67

Well I'm really confused by this. I got the airport because the setup was supposed to be so simple. & now it didn't set up like it is supposed to.

Since I'm also using my iPhone 4S w wifi normally, I don't want to set up a separate network.

I just don't get it what went wrong w the supposedly simple set up.

I don't get what you mean about resoling a DNS address.

I sure wish this was a device I could just take to the Genius bar for help, but of course my home network wouldn't be there.

Also my neighbor said he didn't think interference was an issue.

Besides, the suggested fix for interference was to change the #s to a different channel, not set up a whole new network that would lose some of the functionality.

Not sure how to change the channel or if I even can w the way it is working or if that would help.

Feb 5, 2013 11:49 AM in response to KathiMR

No, what I mean is to utilise the dual band functionality you need two seperate networks on one router. The computers will still be able to access each other.

Interference is an issue everywhere. Here I am in a suburban town in the UK but there are a whopping 21 WiFi networks visible on the 2.4GHz band, and just mine on the 5GHz band.

The setup is simple. I'm thinking that you could just reset the device back to factory and set it up again. Something must have gone wrong.

Feb 5, 2013 5:01 PM in response to KathiMR

Now it's got a green light--after talking to AppleCare who had me reset modem & router but I'm not connected to Internet at all.

I'd rather have the amber lights & be able to connect than what I have now where I can't connect at all via wifi. & since the cable tech talked me into moving modem downstairs its across the room from my table.

Feb 6, 2013 12:26 AM in response to KathiMR

OK, now I tried plugging the ethernet cable into the Airport Express & then to my MacBookPro & now I have Ethernet connection on my Mac through the AirPort Express.

& I also see that since the above was typed on my iPhone before I tried this that it did the notorious iPhone auto correct & for some reason it corrected & to &amp.

So I don't know what this means. There is obviously internet coming through the modem & through the airport Express, but I have not been getting a wifi signal from the Airport. Right now I see the Airport is back to the blinking amber lights.

In AirPort Utility it is showing Green for Internet

For Kathi's Airport Express it is showing the network name, IP address of 169.254.106.133

serial # version 7.6.2

status No DNS servers

which the little window says is this Airport base station has no DNS servers so may have difficulty connecting to the Internet.

Its also showing that my airport base doesn't have a valid IP address.

But Network under System Preferences is showing that I am connected & Ethernet is currently active & it shows an IP address of 68.5.47.246 & a Subnet Mask of 255.255.252.0

Router 68.5.44.1

& DNS Server 68.105.28.12, 68.105.29.12, 68.105.28.11

On the left pane it shows Green Ethernet Connected

amber Wi-Fi Self-Assigned IP

So maybe that is the problem that if I understand these 2 windows it looks like they each are giving IP addresses for the same thing, although The AirPort Utility is calling it Kathi's AirPort Express as the heading for the little pop up block.

So it sounds to me as though the IP address shown in AirPort Utility for Kathi's AirPort Express is for the same thing as what the System Preferences Network has a totally different IP address showing for "router" which it seems to me should be the same.

Its my understanding that cox uses dynamic IP addresses.

So maybe I'll find the email the AppleCare person sent me for response & see if it is just feedback or for communicating about the issue. She didn't ask me about these I don't think.

So maybe this is the problem if I am write & it is showing I guess maybe is it a static IP address for my base, but the others that are shorter

Feb 6, 2013 12:50 AM in response to KathiMR

All that is happening here is that the Express isn't giving out DHCP addresses, so you will need to set the router up to have DHCP & NAT on.

OK, I see this in the email notification even tho it hasn't shown up here.

it is set up w DHCP. I did look under advanced & for wifi see no DNS servers listed. Should those be the same as I see for ethernet? I see 3 of them listed now or a few minutes ago for Ethernet which I think are some cox DNS.

So maybe if I copied those in there, it would work?

Feb 6, 2013 8:57 AM in response to KathiMR

NAT is essentially how your router works out which data goes to which computer on the network, and is key to all modern routers.

Under the Network tab, what does it say by "router mode"?

Try copying the DNS numbers. Strange that they don't appear for WiFi connected devices.

BTW, the forum problems seem to have been fixed now. Sorry for not replying earlier but I couldn't see any of your posts.

Feb 6, 2013 10:01 AM in response to edex67

Ok I finally did follw some links from a guy in our computer club, 1 of which led me to the term. But it sounds like maybe that would be in the cable modem.

Cox is coming out soon-- I have a 2 hr window in which he will come & hopefully a 1 who really understand stuff & who might be willing to try a modem that he will bring & maybe even give it to me.

But I'm also angry at AppleCare as she took me from amber light blinking but I did have wifi Internet connection to green light but to wifi Internet connection assuming its the modem.

But the ignored that I had been connected via wifi right before the call.

So I think I probably have at least a less than optimal modem & probably 1 that may be why connections get dropped a lot, although it didn't get dropped while on Ethernet last night.

But she ignores the fact that I was worse than before the call & the airport is only partly set up right.

I did late last night copy over the DNS # from the Ethernet connection & entered them in both network preferences & AirPort utilty assuming, after I sort of figured out what they are, that they are from my ISP domain.

But still no valid IP address.

It seems that both modem & router are working but not talking to each other properly because of conflicting #s.

Feb 6, 2013 10:27 AM in response to KathiMR

The DNS numbers won't stop the modem and router from communicating. The modem is just a dumb device that decodes the Internet signal and passes it on to your router. What does AirPort Utility say by "router mode"?

Again, NAT isn't in your modem unless you have a modem router. If you do, then all my previous posts are useless.

New Airport Express working but amber light blinks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.