Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote mounting volumes

Since MacFuse and MacFushion are no longer supported I wonder if anybody knows a way to mount volumes that are remote (like via the Internet).

Thanks

MBP, MM, MBP - 10.6 + Windooz XP on a hard partition

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 2:47 AM

4 replies

Feb 5, 2013 6:19 AM in response to ChangeAgent

Do you really need to mount the remote file system, or just have the ability to transfer some files from time to time?

If that is the case, I would look into TeamViewer.com, which can do screen sharing as well as allow you to get or send files between 2 systems. This is NOT drag and drop, but you will have access to the files.

If you really need to have the remove file system mounted, then I would look at Hamachi (from LogMeIn.com) which can establish a virtual private network (VPN) between your systems making it look like they are on the same local area network (LAN).

Both TeamViewer.com and Hamachi are free for personal use. And both are cross platform (Windows/Mac).

There are other options, but a lot depends on what the other system is.

Feb 5, 2013 9:40 AM in response to BobHarris

Hi Bob thanks.

My web server is on my ISP. I think they are Linux.

And yes I need to be able to make backups so need to have read and write access.

I have TeamViewer.com so no use. And am wonder if Hamachi would do it. Any experience?

I ask as I found this here http://hamachi.en.softonic.com/ they say:

Complications arise later on when trying to share files between computers: you'll have to do it through network sharing on Windows because it's not a feature Hamachi itself supports. In the end, I have to admit we were unable to share files over Hamachi during our tests – you know how stubborn Windows folder sharing configuration can get. Oh well, at least we could have a chat – a very safe one, of course.

of course this was Windooz, hence my question about you having any experience.

Feb 5, 2013 12:44 PM in response to ChangeAgent

I'm am unsure what the remote system is. You have mentioned Linux with respect to your web server, and Windooz (or was the Windooz reference to the Hamachi information you quoted?).

To restate my question(s).

What is the local system (Mac, Linux, Windows, other)?

What is the remote system?

What kind of backups do you need to do? Time Machine? Carbon Copy Cloner? SuperDuper? rsync? Other?

How much data to you need to backup?

Do you do incremental backups?

Basically I think we need to have you flesh out the problem, which may help provide a useful solution.

And since you have said backup, which is different from general access, I might suggest CrashPlan (free if you are using your own systems and your own storage). But knowing more about what you are trying to do, and what your needs are would better suggest some possible solutions.

Feb 5, 2013 11:28 PM in response to BobHarris

Morning Bob. Here we go.

and Windooz (or was the Windooz reference to the Hamachi information you quoted?).

Is in reference to the Hamachi information I quoted. There seems to be problems.

As to your other questions:

I use Macs.

My ISP uses a Linux system and here my web site files reside. I want to pull some of the files to the Mac as backup, using a BU Applications.

I want to backup these files to the Mac, incremental. In order to do this I want to mount the disk locally. I use ChronoSync for my BU, but this is irrelevant for now (I think) as I am unable to mount the disk locally, and I am willing to use an other application if needed.

I will have a look at crashplan later. thanks for the tip.

Remote mounting volumes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.