Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do i need an antivirus app in iOS 6 on iPhone

I have first only the question, if i need an Antivirus program when i use an Apple Mobile device, like iPhone, iPad? At some times i think i fell attacked, when i am in the iTunes Shop or surfing via WEB, my screen flickers, although i´ve done nothing unusual? I found in the Appstore Apps like Noton Security or AVG. I have used the OS´s they are on comercial divices, Windows, Android and it is all the same, without an AVG Program i risked to damage the Phone or anyalse.

iPhone 5, iOS 6, general iOS Software

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 6:28 AM

You don't need any antivirus for an iOS device.

34 replies

Feb 27, 2013 2:22 AM in response to dazyde

Yes, you do need an antivirus app for iOS. However, they don't currently exist because Apple refuses to make their 'proprietary' technical OS specifics freely available as open source code or to any Antivirus companies, who could examine and potentially identify security holes. Many security problems have been identified by Apple and fixed as part of iOS updates in the past, It will be a big problem in the future. But right now you can't get an antivirus app for iOS which scans the iOS device wholesale. This is despite the fact that (legitimate) apps are available which can take control of the entire device, install apps, wipe them or the device, view information, etc (for example Sophos Mobile Control).

Feb 27, 2013 2:47 AM in response to teleh

Yeah sorry I was in the middle of touching up the details and apparently after you've replied I can't edit.The extra information I was going to add, was:

'...and this will likely be a bigger problem in the future as malware authors move toward the technology leader as a target. But right now..."

and,

"...Sophos Mobile Control). SMC can be installed by tapping an email link to a website and then tapping 'OK' to a couple of dialogues."

I shall re-post the edited entry momentarily for clarity.

Feb 27, 2013 2:47 AM in response to teleh

Yes, you do need an antivirus app for iOS. However, they don't currently exist because Apple refuses to make their 'proprietary' technical OS specifics freely available as open source code or to any Antivirus companies, who could examine and potentially identify security holes. Many security problems have been identified by Apple and fixed as part of iOS updates in the past (details are readily available in the iOS update information) and this will likely be a bigger problem in the future as malware authors move toward the technology leader as a target. But right now you can't get an antivirus app for iOS which scans the iOS device wholesale. This is despite the fact that (legitimate) apps are available which can take control of the entire device, install apps, wipe them or the device, view information, etc (for example Sophos Mobile Control). SMC can be installed by tapping an email link to a website and then tapping 'OK' to a couple of dialogues.

Feb 27, 2013 3:15 AM in response to tomcolgan

Oh wow I haven't dealt with trolls in a while.

Sophos Mobile Control - can be installed through an email link - and in fact I just did so legitimately on our corporate network today. This is the launch page:

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/mobile/mobile-control.aspx

So instead of the 'Sandboxed App' theory, we are now down to the threadbare basics of an Apple reputation service to determine whether some software or company is actually malware-free.

This software can and does control the entire iOS device, quite transparently. Any App can be remotely installed as long as the iOS user taps a couple of OK's, and then the *only* security on the device, is Apple's reputation team. If they approve an app, it can take control of your device.

Dec 10, 2015 2:43 PM in response to teleh

If you are doing it just prove a point you might succeed

lets honest all apple OS are very reliable and secure.

iOS is carefully sandboxed to prevent Apps from interacting with each other. They have opened that up somewhat recently but Apple's Walled Garden approach keeps it incredibly safe. Not only is there no need for an anti-virus on an iPhone, but any anti-virus would need access to the system that Apple does not allow

Do i need an antivirus app in iOS 6 on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.