3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2013 7:54 AM by Niel
KabirMalik Level 1 (0 points)

I have a macbook pro 13 (mid 2012) with thunderbolt port, what cable do i need to connect a monitor?

are thunderbolt and minidisplay two diffrent things?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • BobTheFisherman Level 6 (13,432 points)

    Hard to say what you need since you have not told us what input ports your monitor has.


    But in general, Thunderbolt and MinidisplayPort are the same thing with respect to external monitors. You need a minidisplayPort to whatever your monitor has for an input port.


    Or, if your comuter and monitor have HDMI ports you don't need an adapter you just need an HDMI cable.


    But until you tell us what ports you have we are just guessing.

  • KabirMalik Level 1 (0 points)

    my monitor has VGA and HDMi and my macbook pro has only thunderbolt. So do I need a thunderbolt to VGA and Thunderbolt to hdmi for connecting eitherway. are there any cables called thunderbolt to vga or dvi or hdmi.

    my confusion is if i connect minidisplay plug to my thunderbolt port will it make a diffrence, or I have to delibratly buy thunderbolt to vga or hdmi cables...only

  • Niel Level 10 (298,267 points)

    You can use either a Mini DisplayPort or a Thunderbolt cable unless you're connecting the computer to another Thunderbolt device.