Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the filler content in the Templates in Pages 09' in Spanish?

Well, I had this problem with my old, Mid-2011 27" iMac. I purchased and downloaded Pages 09' from the Mac App Store. Everything is fine, until I go into my templates when the application opens. If I select anything other than a blank, standard page, all of the filler content is in Spanish. For example, whenever I open up a resume template, the title, and some of the sub titles and sections are in English, BUT, the content in the different sections is in Spanish. I don't know what's going on here. I first incountered this problem when I had my Mid-2011 iMac, and now that I received my Late-2012 iMac, and went into my App Store, and then to my purchases, and downloaded all my apps that I downlaoded on the other computer. So what do you know, again, I'm having the same problem with the filler content in Pages 09' being in spanish..

I would upload a screen capture of the window, but for some reason I am having trouble uploading them to this forum. Also, I want to let everyone know that this computer hasn't been brought to any other countries, much less used in them. I mention that because an Apple rep suggested that, but I told him (when I had a Mid-2011, that it was a desktop and I've never brought it out of the country. I've gone through everything in the menus and settings and I can not find a single thing that looks like it would help me out. Is there something stupid that I am missing?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Late-2012 27", 3.4GHz i7

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 8:06 AM

13 replies

Feb 5, 2013 10:42 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

Jerrold

I should not tar all people of a nationality but there does seem to be a significant subset of the two mentioned who just aren't paying attention. Like the hoards of English who go on holidays every year to Spain but make no effort to learn anything about the country, let alone speak one word of Spanish whilst they are there as guests.

We had a Texan here doing his PhD with the same question. If Dubbaya can learn the difference what was his excuse?

Peter

Feb 6, 2013 8:55 AM in response to Michael Wasley

Well, I didn't know whether it was Spanish, or Latin, or Portuguese, or what have you, as I do not speak the language, and cannot read it. Is there a way that I can change it to where the filler content would be in English? Because in some of the templates, as I was looking through them I thought, "Man, it would be really usefull if I could read that content so it would give me a clue as to the structure of the content." I forget which template it was, there are a lot of them.

Feb 6, 2013 9:00 AM in response to large_farva

Type some native language content where the placeholder text is now, Format the new text as Placeholder Text and save the document as a Custom Template for future use. You can read the Lorem Ipsum placeholder content if you paste it into Google Translate and go from Latin to your native language. Don't expect to be enlightened by the result because it's not intended to say anything about the purpose of the template.

Jerry

Feb 6, 2013 10:24 AM in response to large_farva

I don't speak Latin either, doesn't mean I don't recognise it or mistake it for Spanish.

Latin is a large part of English, Science and Mathematics and as such I find it difficult to believe you did not encounter it at some point in your education.

Spanish is actually spoken by more people in the world than English, which is only the 3rd most spoken language. Given its wide spread use, particularly in America, I am amazed that you can not identify that even though you may not speak it either.

What fascinates me most of all is this has all eluded you for years. You didn't just click in the text to see what happens, nor look up Pages Help or the UserGuide nor Apple tutorial videos all under the Help menu.

You are not alone, we get this quite frequently and yours in not the worst wild guess at the apparently quite intimidating "foreign language". The reason that you can neither identify what it it is and are so intimidated is summed up in the 'not interested': "I can't read that crap".

Peter

Feb 6, 2013 12:38 PM in response to large_farva

large_farva wrote:

in some of the templates, as I was looking through them I thought, "Man, it would be really usefull if I could read that content so it would give me a clue as to the structure of the content."

The whole point of Lorem ipsum is that you can't read it and be influenced by its content.

If you are desperate to generate English placeholder text there are sites like this which will do it for you.

Why is the filler content in the Templates in Pages 09' in Spanish?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.