Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does safari cookies preference not work

Dear People

I go into safari, preferences, privacy and select block cookies from third parties and advertisers.

I then go about my browsing.

Then I always come back to check if block cookies is working, and as if by magic, it is set to block cookies - NEVER.

Why is this happening, and are apple doing anything to address this issue.

imac, imac

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 1:17 PM

8 replies

Feb 5, 2013 3:57 PM in response to monmonmon

Triple-click the line below to select it:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Show Info

from the contextual menu. An Info dialog should open.

Does the dialog show "You can read and write" in the Sharing & Permissions section?
In the General section, is the box labeled Locked checked?
What is the Modified date?

Mar 20, 2013 3:36 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hello Linc,

I have the same ongoing cookies problem as others. I was interested to read your post, therefore, and followed your instructions. Right clicking the Safari.plist gives me 'Get Info' on my machine (iMac running OS X 10.8.3) rather than Services > Show Info. I can see Read/Write permissions, but not (Services) Reveal. Can you shed any light? Thanks.

Mar 27, 2013 6:15 AM in response to Bathcat

I have now resolved the Service/Reveal issue. However, it hasn't helped with my cookies-blocking issue. I have applied several suggested remedies, but despite this successive versions of Safari have consistently defied my settings, allowing myriad cookies through, despite the fact that I have set the browser to block all cookies. I used to enjoy using Safari but owing to this issue I now use Firefox. I have contacted Safari re. this, but have had no response. There are many complaints about this, dotted around the web, and it seems to be to be an inveterate problem. I'm puzzled as to why Safari haven't at least made some comment about it.

why does safari cookies preference not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.