Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Want to use my laptop as a monitor for PS2. Component cables connect how?

Since the big fancy TV townstairs is not exactly my personal one, I would like to play whenever, and wherever I want. I know I can connect HDMI cables via an adaptor, but this is component I am dealing with.

What exact adaptor do I need to connect component AV cables to my laptop, and how make it work as a monitor?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), It's kind of cool.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 1:46 PM

25 replies

Feb 5, 2013 3:30 PM in response to that was my alias

that was my alias wrote:

What exact adaptor do I need to connect component AV cables to my laptop, and how make it work as a monitor?

$200 EyeTV

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/EyeTV-HD/product1.en.html

Buying another HDTV likely would be the better choice as it's a larger screen, easier to play games and watch movies than prematurely burning out your expensive laptop and wearing out the port connecting and reconnecting.

A PS2 is really a console designed to be more or less pernamently connected to a HDCP compliant HDTV for high quality content, not a non-compliant laptop computer.

But I guess if you want to screen record PS2 games for some reason, this should work.

Feb 6, 2013 8:01 AM in response to that was my alias

The EyeTV 250 had a feature for using a Mac as a game monitor, but it seems to have been discontinued some time ago as analog TVs died. You could try to find one on eBay.

"...the EyeTV 250 is switchable — activating a “Game Mode” option turns that hardware-based encoding off, so you can play games connecting your console to the Mac instead of using a television." - Macworld Magazine

No one else seems to make one. (The ElGato linked in the second post is more of a general-purpose recorder and was not game-optimized. It is overkill for this purpose, although it's one of the few options left.)

It would be much, much cheaper and easier to pick up a used TV or monitor with a component input on it. You could probably get one from under $100. Heck, if you don't mind a CRT, they show up on the sidewalk for free on a regular basis around here.

Feb 6, 2013 4:52 PM in response to that was my alias

Game sites always have footage of console games somehow recorded on their computers. If you cannot connect a console to a computer, how do they do that? I also know a person who does Let's Plays of console videogames by recording game footage on his computer.

I know it is possible. I just don't know how to do that on an apple computer. Are there some inputs PCs have that Macs don't?? I doubt that.

Feb 6, 2013 5:13 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

No, there are no Video inputs on a MacBook.

No Analog composite Video (yellow RCA)

No Analog component Video ( Red, Green, Blue RCA)

No Analog VGA (Three-row DB-15 or 5-BNC)

No Digital DVI or HDMI

No Digital DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort

You need to get it into packets and feed it in USB or FireWire.

That last line... could you explain what it means? Cause it's like a different language to me.

Want to use my laptop as a monitor for PS2. Component cables connect how?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.