Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes without a computer

How do I set up iTunes with a computer? I have an iPad 3 with an external drive that contains around 50 ripped CD's.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 2:35 AM

Paul:

Reread your question and hen what you posted in the descriptive reponse area.

You posted n your question/headline area

"ITunes without a computer" - without

I told you that you can't set up iTunes without a computer.

The when you responsed I reread your descriptive text that asked

"How do I set up iTunes with a computer" - with

You are the one that should it get straight.

Good luck.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2013 2:35 AM in response to PaulLight

Paul:

Reread your question and hen what you posted in the descriptive reponse area.

You posted n your question/headline area

"ITunes without a computer" - without

I told you that you can't set up iTunes without a computer.

The when you responsed I reread your descriptive text that asked

"How do I set up iTunes with a computer" - with

You are the one that should it get straight.

Good luck.

Sep 1, 2017 8:10 PM in response to PaulLight

I had issues with iTunes for years...even the workarounds for getting music onto your Apple devices without iTunes require a computer. Sad you have to buy a computer just to manage your external music. I feel your frustration...it was enough to make me switch to Android permanently, and I couldn't be happier. Drag & drop, you're done.

One time a friend gave me a USB stick with a bunch of random music on it. I tried to import into itunes and it was a MESS. Later, after I got a Droid, I just put the little drive directly into my phone and dragged the entire folder to my music folder. My music player can sort by folder so it just plays what's in there. Done.

I'm not a spokesperson for Android or anything but in all seriousness issues like yours is what made me switch. If you do a lot of music on your phone, especially outside music NOT bought on iTunes, you really should consider getting a Droid.

Feb 6, 2013 4:41 AM in response to PaulLight

Yes. I can answer. iTunes needs to have an OS in order to function. You would need a computer to set up iTunes, so no you cannot setup iTunes without a computer, as I stated in my first response.

If your drive is a WiFi drive, there might be a way to access the music from the iPad with a third party application, but if there is a way to do that, I am unfamiliar with it.

Apr 9, 2014 7:00 AM in response to PaulLight

Hi,

Now we're in 2014... is it still impossible to manage your iTunes without a laptop?

My issue is my lap top has died and I now just hav emy iPhone 5 and iPad Air. I'm not 100% if my music is stored anywhere else. It looks like it is in the Cloud but I don't really understand how that works.

My question, too, is can I manage my music with just iPhone 5 & iPad (and NO computer)?

txs

Apr 9, 2014 7:23 AM in response to Lexionian

First of all you need to become familiar with iCloud, so please follow this:

http://www.apple.com/uk/icloud/setup/ios.html

As to your main question. Yes you can manage your music without a computer, however, if you want to add any more music to your iDevice you will have to purchase it via iTunes on your iPhone or iPad. A computer would allow you to add your own (CD etc) music via iTunes sync.

Please also make sure that you are using iCloud for your backups. You may need to buy additional iCloud storage.

Apr 9, 2014 7:45 AM in response to dilbert41

Hey,

Thanks for the speedy response. Ok so iCloud was all set up on both devices and back ups run daily. I'm assuming my tunes are safe in the cloud? Can I view my music in the icloud (& see the library like you would on a computer) or basically is my only option to just view and work on them (make play lists) on the "Music" interface you get on iPhone & iPad? Txs.

iTunes without a computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.