Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't play music on iPad

I've set up home sharing and have sync'd my iPad3 with my Mac and itunes. My music library shows up on my iPad, I can select a song but it won't play. Any ideas? Got to be something simple! Thanks.

iPad, iOS 6.1

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 5:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 5:42 PM

Is iTunes running on the computer hosting the music? Some other basic things to double-check... that your iPad is connected to the same network as your home sharing iTunes library and that you are signed into the correct Apple ID in Settings>Music.

If all that looks correct and it still isn't working, try turning home sharing off in Settings>Music, restarting your iPad (hold the power and home buttons until you see the Apple logo, then release), as well as your computer, then turn home sharing back on again.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2013 5:42 PM in response to RickH61

Is iTunes running on the computer hosting the music? Some other basic things to double-check... that your iPad is connected to the same network as your home sharing iTunes library and that you are signed into the correct Apple ID in Settings>Music.

If all that looks correct and it still isn't working, try turning home sharing off in Settings>Music, restarting your iPad (hold the power and home buttons until you see the Apple logo, then release), as well as your computer, then turn home sharing back on again.

Feb 5, 2013 6:22 PM in response to RickH61

Home sharing only stream music to your iPad over your wifi network. When you are out of range and not connected to your wifi network it cannot connect to your home sharing library, leaving you with only the music actually stored on the iPad.

In order to have access to your music outside of your home wifi network, you either have to sync the music to your iPad so it is stored locally, or subscribe to iTunes Match. With iTunes Match, your entire music library (up to 25,000 songs) is stored in iCloud and can be download and played anywhere you have a connection to the internet.

Can't play music on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.