Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Server 2.2.1 Update - Problems or OK?

Hi all

I haven't seen any thread with people commenting on the recent OS X Server 2.2.1 update. There have been a couple of posts where people have advised problems but nothing saying 'hey went fine'. That could mean that the update is in fact OK but, being a cautious type of person, I thought it would be good to get a definite 'Yes went OK, no problems'.

I don't believe the Apple forum has user polls function, so in lieu of that I have drawn up this table with specific questions with specific answers so it can be clear to everyone scanning through answers how the update went for people.

Guidelines

1. Please respond to my original post, not to replies to my post otherwise width of answer window gets very narrow (quirk of forum software)
  2. Copy / paste the table and fill in response

#
Question (please use responses in bold in square brackets)
Response
1 Update went smoothly with NO problems [Yes/No]
2 Update actually solved existing previous problem with server [Yes/No/N.A.]
3 Updated from Server App version 2.2 [Yes/No]
4 If answer to Q.3 was 'No' please advise previous server version [Server app version #]
5 OS X version at the time was 10.8.2 [Yes/No]
6 If answer to Q.5 was 'No' please advise previous OS X version [Version of OS X]

Hopefully we'll see that the update went well for the bulk of users — and that Apple won't block this post!

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 3:00 AM

9 replies

Feb 6, 2013 3:08 AM in response to FromOZ

Sigh... the forum software frustrates sometimes.

PLEASE NOTE — the table has 3 columns, the third column is where you reply. The forum software window is too narrow to show the whole table.

Just choose 'Quote previous message' copy/paste the table below the quoted part and fill it in (and then delete the quoted message part).

Feb 6, 2013 6:11 AM in response to FromOZ

#
Response
1 Update went smoothly with NO problems [No] No
2 Update actually solved existing previous problem with server [Not sure yet] Not sure yet
3 Updated from Server App version 2.2 [Yes] Yes
4 If answer to Q.3 was 'No' please advise previous server version [Server app version #] -
5 OS X version at the time was 10.8.2 [Yes] Yes
6 If answer to Q.5 was 'No' please advise previous OS X version [-] -

To clarify:

1) As it was updating application data, I got an error message at the very end of the update saying that some application data may not be usable/work/wasn't updated (something to that tune) with a yellow triangle and exclamation mark inside it. After the update, I rebooted the server just in case then let everythign start up normally. All services turned on as per usual.

I have gone through most of my services that I run and I'll list off everything that I've tried out and it's state:

• Caching Server - Looks OK
  • Contacts - Functioning so far as expected
  • Calendar - Functioning so far as expected
  • Profile Manager - Was able to test a push profile add and delete with success
  • DNS - Functioning as normal
  • Software Update - Looking good so far (I had issues with it stopping and restarting randomly with an interval of a month or two between events, hoping that is fixed, though it never affected functionality - it was in the error logs)
  • File Sharing - Working as expected
  • Open Directory - No issues thus far
  • VPN - Looks OK
  • Websites - Functioning as expected

Hope that helps you guys!

Feb 6, 2013 8:38 AM in response to FromOZ

#
Response
1 Update went smoothly with NO problems [Yes/No] Yes
2 Update actually solved existing previous problem with server [Yes/No/N.A.] N.A
3 Updated from Server App version 2.2 [Yes/No] Yes
4 If answer to Q.3 was 'No' please advise previous server version [Server app version #]
5 OS X version at the time was 10.8.2 [Yes/No] Yes
6 If answer to Q.5 was 'No' please advise previous OS X version [Version of OS X]

Update went smooth, but this morning users were having difficulty with e-mail. Our e-mail accounts are connected to Active Directory accounts on the domain, and I've been seeing an awful lot of this:

Feb 6 07:23:18 servername log[73924]: auth: Error: od(username,ipaddress): verify plain: unable to lookup user record

Feb 6 07:48:41 servername log[73924]: pop3-login: Error: Timeout waiting for handshake from auth server. my pid=32800, input bytes=0

Feb 6 10:03:44 servername log[73924]: imap-login: Error: master(imap): Auth request timed out (received 0/12 bytes)

Feb 6 10:03:44 servername log[73924]: imap: Error: Login client disconnected too early

Feb 6 10:04:40 servername log[73924]: auth: Error: Master request 74017.2972 not found

and a whole lot of this:

Feb 6 10:38:40 servername log[47159]: auth: Error: od(username,ipaddress): verify plain: unable to lookup user record

a few restarts of the mail service later and it appears to be working....

If I had to do it all over again, I might have just created local users for our e-mail accounts, rather than using AD. Every now and again, it just doesn't like to play nice...

It was annoying enough to send me to the forums...

Feb 6, 2013 4:02 PM in response to FromOZ

1Update went smoothly with NO problems [/No]
2Update actually solved existing previous problem with server [/No/]
3Updated from Server App version 2.2 [Yes
4If answer to Q.3 was 'No' please advise previous server version [Server app version #]
5OS X version at the time was 10.8.2 [Yes/]
6If answer to Q.5 was 'No' please advise previous OS X version [Version of OS X]

After the update- the touch pad does not work properly. If anyone has a solution to offer. Offer away:) I regret updating!

Feb 9, 2013 3:45 AM in response to FromOZ

#
Response
1 Update went smoothly with NO problems [Yes/No] No
2 Update actually solved existing previous problem with server [Yes/No/N.A.] N/A
3 Updated from Server App version 2.2 [Yes/No] Yes
5 OS X version at the time was 10.8.2 [Yes/No] Yes

After update needed to restore Messages config files from 'previous' folder.

Lots of error messages in mail logs (suspect some duplicate processes started as some not shutdown properly when Server stopped) - seems to have been fixed by rebooting the server.

OS X Server 2.2.1 Update - Problems or OK?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.