Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blank WiFi login screen at various public hotspots

Whenever I'm at a public hotspot that requires a login (like, say, a Panera Bread), my iPhone detects the network, then pops up a Login screen. The problem is, that screen remains blank -- I never get as far as being able to actually log in.

I've tried resetting my network settings, resetting my phone, etc. -- no soap.

A possible clue: The *one* time it seemed to work was when there was no available cellular connection. Then the Wi-Fi login screen actually appeared. But when the cellular connection was recovered, I again found myself unable to connect to that Wi-Fi network.

Help!

TIA...

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 1:59 PM

I really wish Apple would fix this. Never had this problem with my iPhone 4, but plagues me on my iPhone 5.

I posted this on your blog too, but since this seems to be a problem for many people, I thought I'd share my workarounds here too:

1) Turn off "Cellular Data" (Settings -> General -> Cellular) and the log in screen shows up properly. After logging into your network, reenable cellular data.

2) Other workaround: Click the blue arrow next to the wireless network name in the Wireless network page. There are two options; turn off the second option (I believe it's Auto-Login, vs. the first option is Auto-Join). The Log In screen doesn't pop up anymore, but when you try to surf in mobile safari, the log in screen appears there instead (as a web page).

Ben

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2013 1:59 PM in response to justrick1701

I really wish Apple would fix this. Never had this problem with my iPhone 4, but plagues me on my iPhone 5.

I posted this on your blog too, but since this seems to be a problem for many people, I thought I'd share my workarounds here too:

1) Turn off "Cellular Data" (Settings -> General -> Cellular) and the log in screen shows up properly. After logging into your network, reenable cellular data.

2) Other workaround: Click the blue arrow next to the wireless network name in the Wireless network page. There are two options; turn off the second option (I believe it's Auto-Login, vs. the first option is Auto-Join). The Log In screen doesn't pop up anymore, but when you try to surf in mobile safari, the log in screen appears there instead (as a web page).

Ben

Feb 19, 2013 5:42 PM in response to justrick1701

Just one more thing:

I just discovered that if I do a complete erase to a fresh iOS and NOT select to restore my backups (from iTunes or iCloud), and use the iPhone 5 in this "pristine" state, the wifi blank log in issue is resolved, and works properly. The Starbucks (and other hotspot) log in screen appears properly, finally.

I turned iCloud on to sync my contacts, address book, bookmarks, etc, and it still worked.

I next full restored my backup from iTunes (I assume the same thing happens restoring from iCloud, because that's what I had done previously), and the problem behaviour reappears.

I presume somewhere along the course of my iPhone history (I had a 3GS, then 4, now 5) a ? problem file or hidden setting has altered the wifi hotspot log in behaviour, and unfortunately this has been backed up to my iTunes and iCloud backups. There is no way to identify that file or setting, to disable it. A better thing would be to be able to selectively restore items from Itunes or iCloud (passwords, game settings, imessages, etc), but that is not possible AFAIK.

At least I know there's nothing wrong with my hardware.

I think I may just bite the bullet, wipe and fresh install. I will lose my imessages history unfortunately, I think.

Jul 29, 2013 7:53 AM in response to Aneusomy

I am having this same problem, however with some more complications. I have had my iphone and ipad for about 2 years now and have never had this problem before. But a few days ago I logged into a public hotspot with no problems, however, now that I am home this blank log in screen is showing up on my home network and any other network I try to log into and there is nothing to accept. The site says it is apple. com but nothing ever comes up on the screen. Both my ipad and iphone are doing this now and suddenly my wifes started doing the same thing today. Could there be a virus causing this? why all of a sudden? I just tried your recomendation from above and it seemed to have worked but I had to not only put my phone in airplane mode but also change the setting on the network to static. Really wierd that this would happen all of a sudden. any ideas?

Sep 26, 2013 2:49 PM in response to its the right ryan

I had a similar issue logging into our corporate Miraki wifi network. The login page wasn't loading properly and never loaded the login success screen, just a blank page. It ended up being cookies settings that were changed. Went to Settings > Safari > Block Cookies and set to "From third parties and advertisers". Somehow it was on the incorrect "Always" setting.

Jan 16, 2014 12:14 PM in response to justrick1701

OK, I believe I may have solved this

• When you can't log into public WiFi ...
  • with an iDevice running iOS7…
  • because the Server times out ...
  • or the login/registration page just won't load ...

********Simply do this***********

1. Go into settings> WiFi and tap the little info icon for the network you are trying to join
  2. If you see two slider buttons, these are the cause of your woes
  3. One says "Auto Join" (or similar) - you can leave this ON
  4. The second button is "Auto Login" - you must turn this OFF (slide it left so it is grey not green)
  5. Now go back and reselect the network.
  6. If the login page doesn't come up automatically, open a Safari window and enter any address
  7. Bingo!

I have reproduced this issue and solution in 100% of the public WiFi spots which I could previously not access. Please not that I also have "Block Pop-Ups" turned OFF in Settings> Safari, though I do not know if this is a necessary step.

I have filed a bug report with Apple. Feel free to contact them yourselves if this workaround works for you.

Also, please mark this as "Solved" if it works for you so that others will know how to connect to public WiFi.

Peace y'all

Blank WiFi login screen at various public hotspots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.