Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air mid 2011. USB ports don't work.

I have a mid 2011 Macbook air 13" and both of my USB ports disable anything I plug in. A message box appears saying, "Because a USB device was drawing too much power from your computer, one or more of your USB devices have been disabled." I've attempted to plug in: different jumpdrives, USB hub, Ipod Touch, and an Ipod Shuffle. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the devices I have plugged in because they work in other computers. Yesterday only my right USB port wasn't working and I noticed everything I tried to plug in wouldn't plug in all the way. When plugging devices into my left port they would work. Today I tried to plug a jumpdrive into my left USB port and nothing could plug in all the way and everything was rejected. (I checked the Disc Utility app when various things were plugged in, and the computer is not acknowledging them).

I understand that both of my USB ports may be busted, but I am extremely confused about how they can both stop working within a 24 hour time period without reason.

Is there something I can do to fix it? (I'm trying to make sure there is no possible way for it to be fixed, because it's a long drive for me to get to the nearest Apple store)

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 8:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 9:39 AM

Nevermind, I fixed it. It turns out the far left pins within both the ports got pushed back. I am assuming this occured when plugging in my small PNY 32GB Metal Attaché flash drive. So for those of you who own that flash drive, be cautious of pushing it into your USB ports. Since they seem to be a tight fit, pushing them in can be difficult and you may be pushing back one of the four pins in the USB port. I suggest using a USB hub to plug them in because they are easier to replace than the ports on your laptop.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2013 9:39 AM in response to mRiegs

Nevermind, I fixed it. It turns out the far left pins within both the ports got pushed back. I am assuming this occured when plugging in my small PNY 32GB Metal Attaché flash drive. So for those of you who own that flash drive, be cautious of pushing it into your USB ports. Since they seem to be a tight fit, pushing them in can be difficult and you may be pushing back one of the four pins in the USB port. I suggest using a USB hub to plug them in because they are easier to replace than the ports on your laptop.

Macbook Air mid 2011. USB ports don't work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.