Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Matshita DVD-R UJ-898 firmware hc10 will not read commercial DVDS or install dvd. Will burn files to dvd that can be read. Any help????

My Macbook pro 1278, 7,1 has a Matshida DVD-R UJ-898 drive that will not read commercial movie dvds. When I insert the dvd it will be rejected in 15 seconds and will not play. The apple install DVD does the same thing. I can burn files to this same drive and afterward the drive will read them with no problem.

Does anyone have a solution?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 12:38 PM

3 replies

Jul 12, 2014 1:07 AM in response to ronsaws2002

I have a similar issue, but my drive will read any dvd from any region anywhere in the world, but it won't read audio cds. Any audio cds. The funny thing is, I learned this today, after I burned an audio cd using the drive in iTunes. When the burn was finished, I got the "disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" message. Any solution would be hugely appreciated. But the internet suggests that a cleaning of the optical drive may be indicated. Sadly, the year is 2014, and I don't have any 90s era cleaning equipment...

Matshita DVD-R UJ-898 firmware hc10 will not read commercial DVDS or install dvd. Will burn files to dvd that can be read. Any help????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.