Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is unknown error (8268) - songs will not download from iTunes.

I am getting multiple download errors form iTunes - all wirh "unknown error (8268)" as the reason code. What does this mean? Cannot find this code anywhere in Apple. No songs will download from iTunes.

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 3:20 AM

i having this problem too, please help

29 replies

Jul 21, 2014 1:34 PM in response to mfccac

I also have this error. It's reached the point where I may have to move away from using iTunes Match as it's clearly not up to the job anymore.

Tired of repeatedly sending bug reports to Apple and them just denying anything is wrong.

Short term solution is download DoubleTwist and get an Android phone. Dump iOS as it's clearly no longer supported by Apple.

Jul 27, 2014 7:10 AM in response to mfccac

I also have been experiencing this for a couple of weeks. I thought it might coincide with a recent update of either iTunes or iOS, OR it may just have nothing to do with either of those. I'm not sure about the rest of the others who have this problem, but every time I open iTunes, the error occurs for 5 specific songs that I bought from the iTunes Store.

Then, every time I download an app update, or purchase another song from the store, those 5 song errors repeats itself, so my error messages go up in multiples of 5 i.e. 5 errors, 10 errors, 15, 20, etc etc for every single purchase / download. So if I then update 8 apps at once, all of a sudden I get an error dialogue box saying 40 items couldn't be downloaded.

Seriously Apple... what is this?

Jul 31, 2014 2:56 PM in response to mfccac

I've had this problem for a couple of weeks too. Whenever I try to download anything from the iTunes Store (apps, music, whatever), I get the following error message:

User uploaded file

I have no idea what "Angel" is and can't find out whether it's an app, a song, a book, a movie, or what. If I try to update all of my apps, I get this once per app, so if I have 40 apps to update, I get 40 message boxes like the one above. If I go into my iTunes account (Store > View Account), it says that I have "1 items awaiting download":

User uploaded file

I can't see what item it is and if I click the "Download Now" button, the same error message appears. I've tried to "Reset all warnings for buying and downloading" to see if that might give another, more useful, error message, but alas. I think this error message started appearing after upgrading to iTunes 11.3, but it might be unrelated.

Aug 2, 2014 9:34 AM in response to Asbjørn Ulsberg

Worst part of this is that Apple have not made your purchase history impossible to search through with their appalling design. The guys running iTunes are complete idiots.

If iTunes can find problems with a purchase it can find the purchase so you can report the problem or delete/clear that purchase.

Only a complete idiot would design a system that tells you that you have a problem with a file and then make that file impossible to find.

Aug 13, 2014 10:58 AM in response to Layer0

Yes, as a matter of fact, I did. When I unchecked the "Download pre-orders when available" checkbox within the "Store" part of the iTunes preferences, the error disappeared. I have no idea what pre-order it is iTunes wants to download, but I'd rather not have any pre-order content than being faced with this error message for every download I do from the iTunes store.

User uploaded file

I also can't guarantee that this solves the problem of anyone else besides me, but it might be worth a try.

Aug 13, 2014 11:07 AM in response to Asbjørn Ulsberg

Sorry but that isn't a fix. That's just avoiding the error by blocking a function of iTunes. As someone who pre-orders music that isn't much use to me.to

Basically the problem is that iTunes needs to have a truly searchable catalogue of purchases so you can report or delate problem downloads. Since the download can find errors it can report them to you effectively otherwise.

The key issue with this is that the team running iTunes right now are at bet incompetent when it comes to quality control and are not monitoring feedback for errors very well.

Plain and simple the error should be one that they fix or one that you can report by being able to find and notify them of the problem downloads.

Oct 17, 2014 1:04 PM in response to mfccac

Sorry no help here just to say that I have the same issue but the funny thing is the song file in iTunes and the finder library has no issue it's there and it plays fine, I even deleted and re downloaded from iTunes match but still get the error message.

So in the end the message itself is the problem because it is not reporting a real problem with the song file.

User uploaded file

What is unknown error (8268) - songs will not download from iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.