Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to reach anyone to report a fraudulent App

I recently had a case where a free app had managed to sneak in charges of £99.99 for no content of any worth. Whilst in-app purchases are able to be turned off they are not by default. Apple's 15 minute rule on the password re-athentication means inadvertent purchasing of dubious content can occur. Whilst the app store refunded the amount (or would of if I had not cancelled my credit card) they refuse to deal with a complain about the quality or lack thereof of content. I usually check things, but my kids managed to get me to install this and it looked hamrless enough. It turns out it is a par tof a suite of rip off applications all charging huge sums for nothing at all in game. The app in question was Mustang Tuning Crash. It does not seem that it was a mistake as there are more than one of these tiny not very good game apps targetted at kids under the same developer ID.

My most recent response from the app store was this.

The suggestion was to not to talj to them but try and fill in a comments form. Something that does not seem to have the relevant sections to report such transgressions.

Hello Ian,

It's Nadia here again. I see that you believe that is issue to too major and providing feedback will not correctly address this issue. I can definitely relate to your concern as you believe this particular app is a scam and would like to report this issue.

Ian, as an advisor to the iTunes store, I cannot comment on the functionality of the in app feature for that app. Each application is built in with a possibility of upgrading and or purchasing upgrades to certain apps and games. As for this being a scam, please note that this has always been a feature and this is a feature you can turn off on your device. I would also ask that you submit feedback via the link I provided earlier. Rest assured that all submission are review our feedback link is the best avenue for your concerns to be addressed.

To turn off In App features on your devices, please follow these steps:

1) Tap Settings on your device's home screen.

2) Tap General.

3) Tap Restrictions.

4) If necessary, tap Enable Restrictions and enter a passcode. This passcode will prevent restrictions from being disabled without your permission.

5) Scroll down to the Allowed Content section. Switch the In-App Purchases option to OFF. Enter your Restrictions passcode if prompted.

Ian I am sorry but I need to let you know that we've provided as much information as we can about this issue. Please note that Apple now considers this matter clearly addressed, and future replies requesting information beyond what we have clarified will not be responded to. Thank you for understanding

Sincerely,

Nadia

iTunes Store/Mac App Store Customer Support

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ww/

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

I have been publishing this amazing lack of customer support from Apple should anyone have a similar problem http://www.feedingedge.co.uk/blog/2013/01/22/in-app-purchase-scam-mustang-tuning -crash/

Is there a path to the app store approval people as I am sure this app should not be doing what it is doing and cannot see how it could have passed approvals.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 8:08 AM

12 replies

Feb 8, 2013 4:35 AM in response to epredator

I think the issue here is letting kids loose unsupervised on a machine with the ability to accept in-App purchases with a password requirement set to 15 mins. This is an option not a rule. Go to 'Settings', then 'General' and then 'Restrictions'. Turn restrictions on with a passcode and this provides you with two ways of preventing this from happening. Either turn off the in-App purchases or change the 'requires password' from '15 mins' to 'immediate'.

Feb 8, 2013 6:30 AM in response to XZoltan

XZoltan The default should be set by Apple to the passcode being needed straight away. However the issue here is why these apps are getting approved. Many people will not be diving into these options, for whatever reason. I usually have these things locked down but in this case I made an assumption the password protection was exactly that.

Our kids are not unsupervised. Dad can I download this, I took a very quick look, it looked like a top down driving lane switch game, it was free like many games. So I entered the password and said yes. Trusting the hoops people have to jump through on the apple approval process (wrongly of course) and that the password was protecting in-app by default.

The people creating these apps are exploiting a failure of the approval process and of the product defaults knowing full well that the apps they have are targetting kids. That is not right in my oppinion.

Spamming the app store to promote the ranking and also drown out the comments of people complaining (yes I know you can sort them by worst review but again this is default behaviour).

Feb 8, 2013 7:38 AM in response to epredator

So hang on a sec,

Apple have policies that you did not read or did not understand. You 'supervised' your kids using your false assumptions and it went wrong. Apple reversed the transactions you objected to and showed you how to make changes to make things work how you want it to work. You now think that Apple should change its defaults to match how you want them.

I, for one, like the current defaults and they work for me. If in time I want settings differently then I can make changes.

Feb 8, 2013 7:53 AM in response to NYpoppins

Settting and cjoice are great. I am more than happy to have those.

I still do not see what the £99 is for on this particular app to regardless of the settings it does not meet Apple's publishgn guidelines and is there as a scam.

I do not want anyone else to fall foul of this. Apple were not able to refund as I had already reported it as fraudlent payement to the credit card company. Who repsonded a lot quicker than Apple did to my query on the transaction.

Apples developer policy that we all have to abide by "11.11 In general, the more expensive your App, the more thoroughly we will review it"

I am not sure what their review process did in this (or the suite of others) but it seems to be failing?

Otherwise it means I can write an app, pop it in the store and suggest to people that for £99.99 they will get some great content and sell them the most fabulous pixel ?

It is not honest or decent, and appears fraudulent

Feb 8, 2013 8:31 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

I am not making spurious claims as it is a fact that these are charging this amount for little or no content.

Obviously the ultimate protection is to not use any apps on any device but that would seem a little over the top.

I would be more than happy to have the discussion with the developers themselves of these apps but they seema little hard to get in contact with.

Do you know what the instore purchases are for in these apps? Can you work that out from the descriptions? I still don't see what they were even attempting to charge for. "baby games", "kids games", "delux mode".

Also why all the positive reviews with names that seem to be generated and short answers?

Is it £99.99 because it looks a little like £0.99?

This is not an unregulated random websote they are being sold on, it is an apparently policed and reviewed store.

It is also not isolated Apple have allowed these for a long while it appears. I am sure they refund most people who spot it, but a certain percentage will not find the right way to complain or report it. So the developer gets money for nothing and so does Apple?

Anyway, it seems I am in the minority here.

Feb 8, 2013 10:24 AM in response to epredator

I don't know what the current exchange ratae is, but it clearly shows prices of $149.99 and $49.99 (USD). The description also clearly includes:

"PLEASE NOTE: "Mustang Tuning Crash Chase" is free to play, but charges real money for additional in-app content. You may lock out the ability to purchase in-app content by adjusting your device's settings."

I'm not sure how much clearer it could be stated.

Is it possible the vendor is gaming the reviews? Sure, although there isn't any concrete evidence of it, could be. But as for the in-app purchase policy and cost, it seems to be meeting any reasonable standards. Have you posted your own review?

I'm not without sympathy. And I hope you get your refund sorted out to your liking. Personally the in-app purchase would have been more than enough to keep me clear of this game (but I wouldn't have been in the market for it in the first place. But keep in mind that you are legally responsible any information in the description of an item you purchase on the App or iTunes stores.

Feb 8, 2013 12:29 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Sir, I do agree with you. It does clearly state that it is going to take large amount of money for nothing. So thats all ok then. So I hope that Apple and the developer are happy with the way they do business. I have nothing againgt free to play with in app purchases, but the level of purchase for the lack of content if the problem. It is a scam. Are you related to the developer or do you develop such apps? I know that I would be very unhappy with any business practices of this nature, but eachunto their own I guess.

We shall have to leave it as they are happy to gather money in such ways and I am not. Thankyou for your attention on the matter.

Feb 8, 2013 12:42 PM in response to epredator

You seem to be very quick to cast assertions about the character of any one who does not agree with you. Before you cast assertions about me, I do not develop apps, am not related to anyone who does and am just a user of them. I do find them a mixed bag but generally in my experience the Apple approach is better than some I have had on android platforms.

Feb 8, 2013 1:40 PM in response to XZoltan

Once again I am sorry it you were offended at the question (actually directed at James Ward4) about whether you develop apps. Though that is was not really there to offend, more to ask about any affiliation. I agree the Apple aproach is very much better, but I would like to be able to rely on it a bit more. If things like this get through the process then what else is lurking.

I wish we had not nealry got caught, I am happy apple attempted a refund but I really am thinking about the other families that are likely to be hit an taken by these who really dont need this sort of hassle.

They are the people who wil not frequent these forums, engage in these heated debates nor be aware of what might be waiting for them.

Unable to reach anyone to report a fraudulent App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.