Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is censoring of app reviews allowed?

It seems to be increasingly common in the App Store to find that reviews are not published. The latest one I've just come across is 40d (4 On Demand). The summary graph for the current version shows a 2+ rating from 23 reviews, 11 of which are 1 ratings. Yet no actual review text is displayed. I wrote a review (and gave the app a 1 rating) about 10 hours ago but it's not displayed.

Does anyone know Apple's policy about reviews and censorship by developers please?

--

Terry, UK

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 11:05 AM

2 replies

Feb 7, 2013 11:37 AM in response to Terry P

Don't know. But I've seen lot's of poor reviews of apps, so I highly doubt that any outright censorship of poor reviews is ongoing.

It's possible that reviews are mdoerated (eg, for profanity), which causes a delay in the publishing of the review. And I'm don't think reviews stay published if the version of the app cahnges (you have to specifically select an "all versions" view to see old reviews).

And finally, there is a difference between ratings and reviews. The summary graphs show ratings, but not everyone who rates an app leaves a review. It's quite common for there to be far more ratings than reviews, by an order of magnitude, in some cases.

Jul 29, 2014 11:30 PM in response to Terry P

I am occasionally forced to give an app a 1 star rating. These reviews usually never show up. I am polite, courteous, and described the issues in detail. Moreover, I engage in no name-calling, or profanity. My 1 star reviews are rarely posted.

I do see one star reviews get posted. However, it appears that once a certain number of them are given for an application additional ones get blocked.

To answer your specific question as to why censorship is allowed. Remember, this is Apple's website and their hard drives, they have a right to control everything that goes on to it.

Why is censoring of app reviews allowed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.