Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No texting if data is off?

I want to converve my data however I'm not able to get text messages when the data is turned off?! This is BS! I have unlimited texting on my plan with Verison so I pay for this feature!

iPhone 5

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 12:38 PM

The phone/account is set up properly.

SMS is on with my correct number.

This is NOT a Verison issue this is an Apple issue, this article explains that this is how it is SUPPOSED to work http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4203 which is why this is total BS!

Anyone who knows anything factual please feel free to respond!

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2013 12:38 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

The phone/account is set up properly.

SMS is on with my correct number.

This is NOT a Verison issue this is an Apple issue, this article explains that this is how it is SUPPOSED to work http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4203 which is why this is total BS!

Anyone who knows anything factual please feel free to respond!

Feb 7, 2013 12:50 PM in response to katrina102

Well, how is this for factual: Based on your comments so far, you are clueless; some of us are trying to assist you, but you insist on responding rudely; you haven't presenting anything to indicate that you have verified the status of your service with Verizon (is the SMS service actually active right now on your account? If you haven't checked with them, then you have no idea. May not be the issue, but you should eliminate it as a possibility).

Good luck.

Feb 7, 2013 1:07 PM in response to katrina102

Hi Katrina,

Have you tried sending a SMS text to yourself? I just tested it on my phone - turned off Wifi AND Cellular Data. Then I sent myself a text message - and it was delivered right back to me immediately. I acutally knew from previous experience that - contrary to what Razmee209 said - you in FACT don't need cellular data or wifi to send SMS messages.

That being said, without WiFi the only possible way for your phone to send and receive SMS text messages is via your carrier (with or WITHOUT cellular data enabled). Therefore, if you still can't send / receive SMS, then I would definitely follow James Ward4's advice and contact Verizon.

Good luck.

Feb 7, 2013 1:07 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

"you haven't presenting anything to indicate that you have verified the status of your service with Verizon (is the SMS service actually active right now on your account?"

SMS IS active on my account, I have unlimited texting on my plan, my plan is active I have had this service for several months and it is paid in full. I can send and receive text messages when I turn ON the cellular data. When I turn OFF the cellular data I no longer can receive text messages (however it allows me to send them!) I verified this by having my husband send me several messages while the data was off. I could send him a message and he was responding but I couldn't get them until I turned the data back on. This is exactaly how the article says it will work: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4203. Apple is well aware of this issue. It is NOT a Verison issue. This is true for any iPhone5 on any network. I do my research before posting on a forum.

Feb 7, 2013 1:14 PM in response to katrina102

Quoted from article:

"Cellular data is used for data communication in cellular networks. It does not affect your ability to make or receive phone calls or to use Wi-Fi networks for Internet connectivity. If you turn off cellular data, you will be unable to:

• See the cellular data icons in the status bar (for example, LTE or 3G).
  • Send or receive MMS messages. However, you can still send and receive SMS and iMessages if you're connected to a Wi-Fi network.
  • Retrieve or listen to new Visual Voicemail messages. To retrieve these messages, enable Cellular Data."

Feb 7, 2013 1:32 PM in response to katrina102

Yes - it says you cannot send or receive MMS messages without cellular data. Since MMS is intended for content beyond simple text, that is what you would expect. SMS however, doesn't require data outside of the text channel you have with Verizon. Turn off cellular and you should still be able to send and receive text (SMS) messages.

What type of message was your husband sending? Was it in fact an SMS text? Of was it MMS or iMessage? What kind of device was it? Another iPhone? Could be his settings not sending SMS when you expect it. Have you tested the texting with a non iOS device? If so, what were the results?

And whatever impression you have, SMS is working fine on the iPhone 5. Since I have unlimited SMS texting but limited data (also Verizon), that's all I or my wife use. Plus we both text frequently with non iOS and non smart phone users. No problems at all.

Feb 8, 2013 5:17 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Maybe this will help.You essentially have three messaging services that are run out the Message app:

SMS (Simple Messaging Service) - strictly TEXT based (and traditionally limited to 160 characters per transmission). This does not usually requre an actual data service to send or receive, just a texting plan wirth your prover (which you have) and will work regarless of whether you are on Cellular data, WiFi or not, as long as you have a cellular phone signal. Whether the recipient is using an iPhone or not is irelevent.

MMS (Multimedia MEssaging Service) - more or less an externsion of SMS, this allows for larger data packets i teh messege, such as graophic or video files. This typically (as in your case with the iPhone on Verizon) requires a data access method via the carrier (cellular data). On the iPhone, it does not operate via WiFi. But again, the recipient just needs MMS active on thier service and phone; doesn't have to be an iPhone.

iMessage - Apple proprietary system that transmits via any data connection (WiFi or Cellular data) to other iOS or OS X devices ONLY, assuming the recipient has an adddress registered via their AppleID.

Feb 8, 2013 5:54 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Okay so I'm still stumped on this... in theory I know it should work which is why this is so frustrating! I looked back and the message I missed (from my day care, telling me they were closed!) was a group MMS message... go figure, so I know I shouldn't have expected to receive this without my data on. However, last night my husband and I tested it again, with his phone and mine. If we turn off data, we can send a text but can't receive text/SMS from eachother. Once turning on data the messages appear. Can someone out there trial this like we did? Note: we do NOT have wifi on when doing this.

I've never had trouble sending or receiving text messages in the past (to other iphone or other phones), however I've never turned off data before. This seems like a loophole and I know I'd waste a lot of time talking to Verison about it, especially since its really not that big of a deal (except for yesterday). Sorry.

Feb 8, 2013 6:25 AM in response to pdroth

Yes this works!!! Here's the deal: iphone defaults to imessage when wifi is off and imessage requires data. SO...if you want to conserve your data turn off imessage, you can not use imessage when data is off. So settings>messages-imessage OFF, SMS ON (this is probably on already but just to be sure). This works, tested with my phone and hubbys. Thanks everyone!

No texting if data is off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.