Previous 1 2 Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2013 6:00 PM by ds store
britny.pryor Level 1 (0 points)

I bought a macbook from someone online. 2006 black macbook a1181 ubuntu 10.10 (it did not come with the install dvd)

I ordered the Mac OS X Snow Leopard disc


MacBook
  • Klaus1 Level 8 (47,782 points)

    You need to erase the hard drive and format it as HFS Extended (Journaled) before installing OS X.

  • britny.pryor Level 1 (0 points)

    I do not have the original install disc that came with the MacBook when it was new.

  • Klaus1 Level 8 (47,782 points)

    But you have (or have ordered) the Snow Leopard disk? Then you are good to go!

  • britny.pryor Level 1 (0 points)

    No, that's why I'm posting this. It's still not working. I put snow leopard disc in and it says error-cannot read format.

  • FatMac>MacPro Level 5 (4,420 points)

    britny.pryor wrote:

     

    No, that's why I'm posting this. It's still not working. I put snow leopard disc in and it says error-cannot read format.

    Are you just putting it in the drive while running Ubuntu or are you trying to boot from it? To do that, have the disk in the drive and as you start to boot, hold down the C key.

  • britny.pryor Level 1 (0 points)

    This is my first mac, so I have no idea what I'm doing! Lol

     

    I just logged in, put disc in drive and it came up on my desktop as "windows support". I clicked on it and it just has an error message.

  • FatMac>MacPro Level 5 (4,420 points)

    britny.pryor wrote:

     

    This is my first mac, so I have no idea what I'm doing! Lol

     

    I just logged in, put disc in drive and it came up on my desktop as "windows support". I clicked on it and it just has an error message.

    First, nobody is born knowing this stuff.

     

    Second, with the disk in the drive, restart and immediately hold down the C key. Normally that directs the Mac to look to the DVD drive first for a bootable disk, which the Snow Leopard installer disk is. If that works, we'll move on to the next step, since I assume you're using some other computer to access this forum.

  • britny.pryor Level 1 (0 points)

    Ok I held down c and the apple logo popped up!!!! Now Mac OS X popped up and wants to to choose language. I know the obvious choice, but I DON'T want to take any chances on the next few steps lol

  • ds store Level 7 (30,325 points)

    Choose English since you seem to understand that.

     

    Ok, now all you need to do is follow these directions

     

    How to erase and install Snow Leopard 10.6

     

     

    Make sure you do:

     

    "To erase the entire drive of all partitions:"

     


    Because Linux and both of it's partitions (one is hidden) has got to go as it's a older version (insecure) and it's beyond your level of understanding right now.

     

    If you don't erase the entire drive, you will have problems.

  • FatMac>MacPro Level 5 (4,420 points)

    britny.pryor wrote:

     

    Ok I held down c and the apple logo popped up!!!! Now Mac OS X popped up and wants to to choose language. I know the obvious choice, but I DON'T want to take any chances on the next few steps lol

    ds store got there ahead of me so follow his directions. I would only add that if you've actually been using Ubuntu for anything (it's a pretty good OS in its own right) and there are files you want to save, now's the time to do it because they're all about to be erased.

  • britny.pryor Level 1 (0 points)

    It says:

     

    Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer.

     

    This disc requires that Mac OS X 10.5 or later already be installed on your computer.

     

    If you want to restore your system from a Time Machine backup, click "restore from Backup".

     

                (Restore from backup) or (Restart)

  • FatMac>MacPro Level 5 (4,420 points)

    britny.pryor wrote:

     

    It says:

     

    Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer.

     

    This disc requires that Mac OS X 10.5 or later already be installed on your computer...

    Have you already erased the computer's Hard Disk?

  • britny.pryor Level 1 (0 points)

    I don't know what that means.

     

    I've done what you've explained.

     

    Put disc in, restarted and held down c

  • FatMac>MacPro Level 5 (4,420 points)

    britny.pryor wrote:

     

    I don't know what that means.

     

    I've done what you've explained.

     

    Put disc in, restarted and held down c

    In that case you need to follow the steps in ds store's post, which are, essentially, pick your language, and look at the instructions in this link https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3393, click on the  Utilities menu to find and select Disk Utility. With Disk Utility running, start with the instructions in the link for "To erase the entire drive of all partitions" and use the graphic further down the page to see what to choose in the Disk Utility window.

     

    Note to ds store: don't mean to step on any toes here

Previous 1 2 Next