Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean install of ML - what will happen?

I have made a bootable USB drive with Mountain Lion installer.

I am prepared to make a clean install of ML on my drive (since it has become slow and glitchy).

I have a clone of my Mac drive, and have made a dmg of my windows drive and put them both on a bootable external hard drive.

Now I am ready to proceed in formatting my mac drive but I have to questions (which no one after hours of googling seem to be able to answer):

Two questions.
1. What will happen to my Boot camp partition after a clean install of Mac OS X? Will I still be able to boot windows normally?

2. What happens to programs that requires license to install, for example Office 2011, Photoshop CS5 etc? Will they allow me to restore it from TimeMachine backup or my clone or do I need new licenses?

From what I've read so far... The least problems is if I keep my username exactly as it is, manually copying files and folders from the clone drive to the new installation of ML. Downloading fresh programs from the internet. But still, the licensed ones will have files spread all over and can't easily be copied right? And also, will my computer be able to instantly recognize the boot camp partition and load it normally?

😝

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, Early 2011 (MC723LL/A)

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 5:59 PM

1 reply

Feb 7, 2013 6:28 PM in response to ChaotiX66

Your question 1.

Do not manually copy any files... particularly applications. There is so much that has to be moved over, it is impossible to know where these files are. When you reinstall the OS you will be asked if you want to transfer stuff over. Take that route, and save yourself an impossible task.

The good news is that when you do it that way the license info should also be transferred. In any case you do not need NEW licenses. At worst you will have to do a one-time re-enter of the ones you have.

Your question 2.

I believe, but let's hope some one more knowledgeable than I will confirm, the Bootcamp partition does not have to be erased during a clean install.

Clean install of ML - what will happen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.