These are the instructions I was following, but I've waited more than 15/20 minutes and nothing...
To rebuild the iPhoto library:
- Quit iPhoto if it is open.
- Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
- Open iPhoto.
- Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
- A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select the options you want to use.
- Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.
I thought the pictures were deleted off my computer, but turns out it's just the iPhoto since I can still see my pictures under Front Row. If there's another way of getting to the pictures without going through iPhoto, please let me know.
Database: my pictures? I'm not sure, about 5,500 pictures were in my iPhoto.
Mac: Macbook OS X, Version 10.6.8.
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2 GB
I have tried the "Repair the iPhoto Library Database" and "Recover orphaned photos in the iPhoto Library Folder".
Try the following:
Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library
- Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.
- Click on the Add Library button,
navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.
- Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu option
- In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.
- Click on the Create button.
Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.
If you still have your original library give this a try to see if your "missing" photos can be recovered:
Starting over from scratch with new library
Start over with a new library and import the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from your original library as follows:
1. Open the library package like this.
2. Launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and, when asked, select the option to create a new library.
3. Drag the subfolders of the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from the open iPhoto Library package into the open iPhoto window a few at a time.
This will create a new library with the same Events (but not necessarily the same Event names) as the original library but will not keep the metadata, albums, books slideshows and other projects.
Note: your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.