Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where did my imported iPhone photos go?

I've imported 1000 or so photos from my iPhone but they are not in Last Import? They are not in the album that I've imported them to? Where did they go?

I'm trying to do a mass dump of my iPhone to clear space and I usually put them into their own album, just not this time.... I'm scared to delete them without confirming iPhoto has them successfully imported.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 8:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2017 12:52 AM

They exist as a giant blob of photos, uneditable and unfindable in finder (individually).

Is this what Apple Care told you? A giant blob of photos, uneditable and unfindable in finder?

The Photos Library is a sophisticated database of photos, videos, and for photos much more powerful than the Finder, as long as you are using Photos to access the photos inside. Once you let Photos handle the photos, you can search them in many ways, specific to photos and specific to the relations between photos. Photos is a photo/video manager, not a file manager. With photos you access photos in different states of edits, not files on the disk.

• You can organize and search the photos by camera tags - lens, shutter speed, aperture, flash, camera model or combinations of these attributes.
  • You can organize the photos in albums and group albums by folders, according to the way you want to use them, photos for private use, photos for work, photos for projects, like books or screensavers.
  • You can search photos by the capture date, the place, by the persons inthem,
  • Photos is analysing your photos by the content the picture is showing, so you can search for photos by the category of a photo. For example, i wanted to find a photo of a parrot, typred "Parrot" in the search field, an photos has been showing me 28 photos that look like pictures of parrots. I did not have to enter keywords, photos is trying to understand what a photo is showing.
  • Photos is supporting a lossless workflow. You can create several edited versions of a photo without needing much extra space and revert the edits individually. So you can change how a photo is cropped, without having to discard the color adjustments or the metadata yo assigned. And the adjustments will sync seemlessly across your devices with iCloud Photo Library.

There is a lot to be gained by using a digital asset management system, once we start thinking of photos and manage our digital images as photos and not as files in the Finder.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2017 12:52 AM in response to DustyWhite

They exist as a giant blob of photos, uneditable and unfindable in finder (individually).

Is this what Apple Care told you? A giant blob of photos, uneditable and unfindable in finder?

The Photos Library is a sophisticated database of photos, videos, and for photos much more powerful than the Finder, as long as you are using Photos to access the photos inside. Once you let Photos handle the photos, you can search them in many ways, specific to photos and specific to the relations between photos. Photos is a photo/video manager, not a file manager. With photos you access photos in different states of edits, not files on the disk.

• You can organize and search the photos by camera tags - lens, shutter speed, aperture, flash, camera model or combinations of these attributes.
  • You can organize the photos in albums and group albums by folders, according to the way you want to use them, photos for private use, photos for work, photos for projects, like books or screensavers.
  • You can search photos by the capture date, the place, by the persons inthem,
  • Photos is analysing your photos by the content the picture is showing, so you can search for photos by the category of a photo. For example, i wanted to find a photo of a parrot, typred "Parrot" in the search field, an photos has been showing me 28 photos that look like pictures of parrots. I did not have to enter keywords, photos is trying to understand what a photo is showing.
  • Photos is supporting a lossless workflow. You can create several edited versions of a photo without needing much extra space and revert the edits individually. So you can change how a photo is cropped, without having to discard the color adjustments or the metadata yo assigned. And the adjustments will sync seemlessly across your devices with iCloud Photo Library.

There is a lot to be gained by using a digital asset management system, once we start thinking of photos and manage our digital images as photos and not as files in the Finder.

Oct 14, 2017 12:05 AM in response to DB@EB

Thanks OT. 🙂

I spoke to Apple Care. It turns out that "importing" is a VERY BAD thing to do. It dumps all of your photos into a conglomerate file. They exist as a giant blob of photos, uneditable and unfindable in finder (individually). I was advised to instead go to a Mac app called "image capture" (found in Launchpad) while the phone was connected and "import" from there (select, shift select, select all, etc.) and once that is done I can choose to optionally delete them from my iPhone.

This worked :-)

Also i was told to probably use iCloud from now on as it works like Dropbox. Delete once and it gets deleted everywhere. But either way, now I can edit my images in Photoshop. This is important as I shot them on my iPhone for business use.

New to OSX/iOS, 20 years on PC (it was time to switch)

Anyway, I hope this helps others who are pulling their hair out.

Apr 13, 2015 3:50 PM in response to DB@EB

The photos will be in an Event. Peruse in the Event mode to see if you can find the Event.

You know the file names of the photos you imported so search by file name to see if the photos can be found in iPhoto:

User uploaded file

Can you find them? If so you can Control (right) - click on a photo and have it show you the Event.

User uploaded file

Oct 1, 2016 9:21 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks OT. 🙂

I spoke to Apple Care. It turns out that "importing" is a VERY BAD thing to do. It dumps all of your photos into a conglomerate file. They exist as a giant blob of photos, uneditable and unfindable in finder (individually). I was advised to instead go to a Mac app called "image capture" (found in Launchpad) while the phone was connected and "import" from there (select, shift select, select all, etc.) and once that is done I can choose to optionally delete them from my iPhone.

This worked :-)

Also i was told to probably use iCloud from now on as it works like Dropbox. Delete once and it gets deleted everywhere. But either way, now I can edit my images in Photoshop. This is important as I shot them on my iPhone for business use.

New to OSX/iOS, 20 years on PC (it was time to switch)

Anyway, I hope this helps others who are pulling their hair out.

where did my imported iPhone photos go?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.