Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to reformat hard drive and restore Time Machine backup. What's the safest way to proceed?

I have a Mac desktop, purchased in 2007. We upgraded last year to Snow Leopard. It has been slow for a few days, and yesterday wouldn't go past the gray screen. Tried booting in recovery with no success, same for safe mode. Even tried fsck -fy. Eventually went to the Snow Leopard install disk and tried to repair disk, but got an "Disk Utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files" message. I've got Time Machine back ups on an external hard drive, but I want to make sure I do this right and don't make things worse. What steps do I need to take?

Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 9:31 PM

In most of the cases, that Disk Utility message means that the hard drive is damaged.

However, you can try to erase the disk and restore the Time Machine backup to see if it works. Follow these steps:

1. Insert the Snow Leopard DVD and press the C key while your Mac is starting.

2. Go to Utilities menu > Disk Utility, select Macintosh HD on the sidebar, go to Erase tab and erase the disk. If there's an error during this step, take the Mac to an Apple Store to get a new hard drive.

3. Close Disk Utility, go to Utilities menu, choose the option to restore a Time Machine backup and follow the steps.

If the computer is slow after doing this, take the Mac to an Apple Store as soon as you can

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2013 9:31 PM in response to Terpster77

In most of the cases, that Disk Utility message means that the hard drive is damaged.

However, you can try to erase the disk and restore the Time Machine backup to see if it works. Follow these steps:

1. Insert the Snow Leopard DVD and press the C key while your Mac is starting.

2. Go to Utilities menu > Disk Utility, select Macintosh HD on the sidebar, go to Erase tab and erase the disk. If there's an error during this step, take the Mac to an Apple Store to get a new hard drive.

3. Close Disk Utility, go to Utilities menu, choose the option to restore a Time Machine backup and follow the steps.

If the computer is slow after doing this, take the Mac to an Apple Store as soon as you can

Need to reformat hard drive and restore Time Machine backup. What's the safest way to proceed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.