Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cisco ASDM not working after Java 6 downgrade

I have 2 Cisco ASA devices that I need to access. One offers ASDM 6.3 and the other ASDM 6.4. I have no control over the version.

Previously I've happily visited the ASA's IP address using Safari, clicked Run ASDM, double-clicked the .jnlp file in my Downloads folder (I've set Safari to not auto-launch downloads), and got on with it. I've also been able to use the desktop shhortcut that the applet creates.

With the 2012-006 Java update from Apple things no longer work. Firstly I went ahead and downloaded the Java 7 update from Oracle. Then I discovered that ASDM 6 isn't compatible with Java 7 so I followed the downgrade instructions at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5559 and verified the downgrade at http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp. Then I tried Run ASDM again. Here's what happens when I launch the asdm.jnlp file...

• Verify Ceritificate windows pops up (because the router doesn't have an official certificate) so I click Trust.
  • Splash screen pops up very briefly saying Downloading
  • Splash screen switches to saying Verifying Application
  • Splash screen disappears and nothing more happens

Having done the same things on a Windows machine, this is the point where the desktop shortcurt gets created.

I only get the splash screen the first time I run the jnlp file. I assume this is because the applet get cached. If I run "javaws -uninstall" and then "open asdm.jnlp" then I get the splash screen again.

One other thing that might be relevant, or might not. If I run "javaws" from a terminal command line then I get

Java Web Start splash screen process exiting ...

Can not find message file: No such file or directory

But if I do "export LANG=C" first then I get the startup options listed. "locale" normally reports everything as "en_GB.UTF-8", so something is screwed with the internatinoalisation, I'd guess.

So can anyone tell me what I need to do to get ASDM up and running, or at least how to investigate why the app is crashing out?

At the moment I can get access from a VMware Fusion Windows 7 virtual machine, but I'd prefer to do it native.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 2:40 AM

2 replies

Feb 8, 2013 8:14 AM in response to kmbro

Okay, this is weird. I clicked on "Run Startup Wizard" instead of "Run ASDM" and it ran! I was able to quit Wizard mode and use the standard ASDM functionality. What gives? It suggests that the Java installation itself is okay but I've got some duff ASDM-specific data in a cache somewhere. But where?! I tried removing the ~/.asdm and ~/Library/Caches/Java directories but that didn't solve it.

Jun 6, 2013 1:44 PM in response to kmbro

Were you able to find a solution for this? I am having the same issue, and I have not been able to find a resolution. I did try your work around, and surprisingly it worked for me. Kind of annoying, but workable. I might have to force the update on the ASA to the latest, when I can, it just won't be soon. Anyways, thought I would see if you had any success, if not, your workaround helped out!

Cisco ASDM not working after Java 6 downgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.