Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I set up password-protected Guest account

Hi everyone

I need to set up password-protected guest account. The aim is to get:

a) an account with password. So only authorized person can use it.

b) all changes in this account should be overwritten at log-off, just like Guest account behaves.

So I need either to find a way to set password for Guest, either create a 'normal' account and somehow automate it self-cleaning at logoff.

I tried to run terminal and use

sudo su

passwd Guest

[entering password 123]

Afterwards I can't login as Guest at all. System doesn't ask for a password, nor logs me in.

Thx for any help

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 5:35 AM

4 replies

Feb 1, 2015 6:18 AM in response to Нуб Нубыч

This question was asked 2 years ago and still hasn't been answered.

If there is not a way to add a password to guest account, what is the script that get's executed when the Guest account log's off? I can execute that on an account that I create called 'localGuest' or something like that.

I have an enterprising member of my family who has figured out that my computer is exempt from the network curfew and they are using Guest to bypass that. I have since disabled guest; however, I do like using the fresh guest environment to test software development.

how can I set up password-protected Guest account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.