4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2013 6:06 AM by GrumpyGator
andrewbatz Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

My iPad has been messing up lately and just last night my "friend" cracked the screen.

My question is what all needs to be wrong with it to qualify for a free warranty replacement?

the internet occasionally turns itself off, the sound will cut out, it will refuse to interface with iHome (possibly iHome's fault though),

I bought it in June, and have not done anything with it involving the warranty yet.

Do you think this would qualify to be replaced?

iPhone 4, iOS 4.2.7, White Verizon
  • Skydiver119 Level 7 Level 7 (24,630 points)

The fact that the screen is cracked pretty much renders everything else moot.

If you'd taken it in before the physical damage they could have potentialy done a warranty replacement (presuming it was still under warranty)

However with visible evidence of 'abuse or neglect' any and all malfunctions will be blamed on that cracked screen. THe main option you'll have now is an out of warranty replacement starting at $249 and going up depending on the model. The only exception to this is if your iPad is a 3 or 4 and you purchased apple care +, which has two instances of accidental damage repair with a $49 service fee.

• GrumpyGator Level 5 Level 5 (4,560 points)

Yes, with the physical damage, and the absence of accidental damage protection, it would be an out of warranty repair.

iPad model

Out-of-Warranty Service Fee

iPad mini

$219

iPad 3rd, 4th generation

$299

iPad 2, iPad

$249

A $6.95 shipping fee will be added if service is arranged through Apple and requires shipping. All fees are in US dollars and are subject to local tax.

Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPad that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service.
    Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not your iPad is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. Replacement iPads have a 90-day limited hardware warranty or assume the remainder of your standard warranty or AppleCare service contract coverage, whichever is longer. Please see the AppleCare+ for iPad and Apple Repair Terms And Conditions for further details.

• andrewbatz Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

abuse? it has a hairline crack from where the wireless apple keyboard in my backpack was smashed against it. (the only thing in the backpack that could have done it based on it's position.

So with the new policy it doesn't qualify for replacement under warranty even though I have not at all invoked warranty on an ipad less than a year old?

shouldn't the technical problems qualify it regardless?

• GrumpyGator Level 5 Level 5 (4,560 points)

andrewbatz wrote:

it has a hairline crack from where the wireless apple keyboard in my backpack was smashed against it. (the only thing in the backpack that could have done it based on it's position.

Whether intentional or unintentional, there would be no way to determine if the current physical damage is the cause of the other issues. So, that damage supercedes everything else, and voids the warranty.

You can read in more detail here and if you wish, can take it to an apple retail store or call 1-800-APL-CARE.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/