Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't export to 1080p video in iMovie

I've imported a video taken with my iPhone 4s into iMovie 11. I confirmed the video is actually 1080p. In iMovie I then select Share -> Export Movie, the only size available is "Large 720 x 540" or smaller. Since this was 1080p video to begin with, shouldn't I be able to export it as 1080p?

So, I searched and found a youtube video describing how to export 1080p video using QuickTime. I followed the video step by step, but when I got the the part to select H.264 format, that format was unavailable.

What do I have to do to export 1080p video?

I don't recall this being a problem in the past.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 5:54 AM

10 replies

Feb 27, 2017 10:55 PM in response to zBernie2

First, if you wanna export a video recorded with Quick of your Iphone screen on 1080p you can do it this way:

After finish recording, this means after pressing the button stop, to stop recording your Iphone go to:

File->Export->1080p

And that's all.

Second, i has the sane problem trying to export a project with Imovie. All the media i was using to create the video was in 1080p, but some how Imovie only was able to export in 720p. i discovered that Imovie set this kind of parameter automatically. So, my mistake was this: when i first created the project i imported some media in 720p and i put it in my time line, so when i did that, Imovie set my all project in 720p. Then i added a new media in 1080p and then i deleted all the media with 720p from my time line. But Imovie didn't change the project to 1080p, the project still was in 720p. The only way to force the change to 1080p is deleting all the media of your time line and add ONLY media in 1080p. Then Imovie is able to change your all project to 1080p. In my case i just cut all the media from my time line, then i put a photo with 1080p in the time line(that way Imovie change the all project to 1080p) and then i just pasted all my media back to my time line and problem fixed.

Feb 8, 2013 8:31 PM in response to zBernie2

If I take the same 1080p video and export it from iMovie 9.0.8 from my MacBook Pro, the 1080p option is available. The same video when exported from my 2011 iMac, will not even let me export it in 720p! I compared preferences in iMovie on both Mac's and they are identical.

I'm wondering if iMovie running on the iMac has a bug? I belive I should be able to export to 1080p, even with the non-retina video.

Still digging...

Feb 8, 2013 9:12 PM in response to zBernie2

I am baffled.

The only thing I can think of is to check the Media Browser to see if there is already a 1920x1080 copy of the movie in there. If there were, it might not give you the option to make one since you already have one. Even so, this should not be the case for EXPORT MOVIE.

You can check the Media Browser by going to your Project in the FInder. Then right-click on it and select SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS. Within the Package, go to the Movies folder. See if there are any movies in there.

Oct 19, 2013 7:10 PM in response to zBernie2

I found that you can change the Aspect Ratio (as you suggest in your last post) of your project without creating a new one. Instead, go to the the Project Library (if you are IN the project currently, you have to click on the left pointing arrow at the top left that says "Project Library" in it to get back to the Project Library). Right-click on the project, select "Project Properties" and change the Aspect Ratio from Standard (4:3) to Widescreen (16:9). Note that this will delete any movie files that were rendered via "Finalize Project" (assuming you have done that) so you'll have to re-render (if you want to regenerate them at this time), which will take longer than when using Standard aspect ratio.

Oct 21, 2013 4:10 AM in response to AppleMan1958

Hi

Im curious about this point. I recently imported some video from a 5S, the option on my mac said, import as large or original, when i checked orginal I got a warning saying it may lose quality on playback so I checked large. I want to keep the quality from the 5S so I can export to itunes and watch on my HD tv with apple TV, by checking large does that decrease quality or is it the correct default?

My macbook is non-retina so I am assuming the playback quality it refers to is on my mac. I have changed the default to original even with the playback warning - is this correct?

Can't export to 1080p video in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.