Jacob Whitney wrote:
I bought a MacMini 2012 with MacOS server, but I do not want server, the apple store will not let me download or buy 10.8.2 client, because apparently the build is to to old, or the late 2012 machines need a special version. Where can i find a download link for the installer or InstallESD.dmg?
Will 10.8.2 build 12C60 InstallESD work for my MacMini, or is this the AppStore build?
Your Mac Mini 2012 came pre-installed with Mountain Lion so yes, you need the special version for that model. But if you want to uninstall the Server app you should be able to do so by dragging the Server app from /Applications to your Trash Bin. And delete the /Library/Server folder.
The App Store build of ML won't install on your Mac Mini.
If you need the instructions to grab the InstallESD.dmg file from your specific version, I can give those to you. But if all you're trying to do is 'turn off' server or uninstall it, the 1st paragraph should work.
Thank you for your response,
two reasons I want the MacOS Client and not server; correct me if i'm wrong, but i've heard that there is some issue with some applications on the MacOS server editions. Second, i work at a computer shop in an area with ether very slow or metered internet, so one download of the combo update would make me happier (even though the 10.8.2 update wouldn't have woked for me).
I've found instructions on downloading the app store installESD.dmg and injecting two updates into it to make it work with the late 2012 machines, but i don't quite understand one part, and would rather find a download link for the installer and/or installESD.dmg to put on a flash drive or burn to a disk.
Here's a link to grab the InstallESD.dmg file from pre-installed Lion. The instructions also work with Mountain Lion.
I don't know, however, if you will get a Server version of ML for your Mac Mini and what that version contains. If you do get the Server app within /Applications, just don't launch it to install the Server services. Just keep it in your /Applications folder.
Basically, all you do is this:
- Restart the Mac Mini into the Recovery HD by holding down the Command+R keys at restart.
- Plug in a formatted (Mac OS Extended -Journaled with GUID partition table) external drive. Like a Western Digital USB external drive.
- In the Recovery HD, select the Reinstall OS X option. Follow the prompts and when you get to where you select the drive to install ML, point to the external drive.
- IMPORTANT STEP: You need to keep an eye on download and after it finishes; then restarts and BEFORE the startup chime while your screen is black, unplug the external drive. Your system will default boot into your internal drive and OS X.
- Plug the external drive back in and open the OS X Install Data folder. Inside you will see the InstallESD.dmg file. Copy it to your Desktop; then use a USB 8GB thumb drive and Disk Utility and restore the InstallESD.dmg to your USB thumb drive.
Hope this helps!
I really don't know about app issues with a Mac Mini Server.
My Mac Mini is the late-2012 i5 2.5GHz (low end model), not Server. However, I'm running OS X Server on it but that was a separate download from the App Store and I'm not having any issues with OS X Server or any of the apps ML came with.
Sorry, I couldn't be of much help.
There is a new version of Adobe Flash Player that came out yesterday to fix some security issues. You might want to launch Adobe Flash Player from System Preferences / Other and grab/install the update.
Also, if you never launched the Server app and never configured the OS X Server services, you are basically running a client system of ML. Without configuring OS X Server, you're not running any of the services.