Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert Purchased DRM-Protected Songs to DRM-Free Versions

as per iTunes / Help / Usage rights for iTunes Store purchases:

"All songs offered by the iTunes Store now come without DRM protection. These DRM-free songs, called iTunes Plus, have no usage restrictions and feature high-quality 256 kbps AAC encoding.

If you have older iTunes Store purchases that are now available as iTunes Plus downloads, you may upgrade your existing purchases. To do so, visit the iTunes Store and follow the onscreen instructions."

Looking at iTunes / Store / Purchased, which shows the list of songs that I have purchased, I do not see how I can tell if my older songs are with or without DRM protection.

How do I identify what songs have DRM protection? I want to convert any purchased music, which have DRM protection, to newer DRM-free versions.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5), 2.2 Ghz i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 10:05 AM

Yank,

The upgrade program described in that document was discontinued by Apple a few months ago. Here are the options now:

If you have a lot of tracks to upgrade, you can do it by subscribing to iTunes Match and following the instructions by which to delete your DRM copy and download the non-DRM matched copy. See the section "Can I upgrade my previously purchased music to iTunes Plus?" in this guide: iTunes Store: iTunes Plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If you only have a few to upgrade, you can buy them singly.

How do I identify what songs have DRM protection?

In your library, use Songs view, and look at the "Kind" column for ones with the word "Protected."

If you do not see Kind, enable it by going to View > View Options.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2013 10:05 AM in response to Yank7

Yank,

The upgrade program described in that document was discontinued by Apple a few months ago. Here are the options now:

If you have a lot of tracks to upgrade, you can do it by subscribing to iTunes Match and following the instructions by which to delete your DRM copy and download the non-DRM matched copy. See the section "Can I upgrade my previously purchased music to iTunes Plus?" in this guide: iTunes Store: iTunes Plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If you only have a few to upgrade, you can buy them singly.

How do I identify what songs have DRM protection?

In your library, use Songs view, and look at the "Kind" column for ones with the word "Protected."

If you do not see Kind, enable it by going to View > View Options.

Feb 8, 2013 10:34 AM in response to ed2345

ed2345,

I have been backing up my iTunes to an external hard drive. Instead, can I use iTunes Match as a back up, for my entire iTunes music/video collection (which includes many playlists and imported CDs), and use iTunes Match to bring back my entire collection in case of a catastrophic loss?

Thank you again.

Feb 8, 2013 11:02 AM in response to Yank7

Yank,

In addition to Jim's post and Michael's article, let me add the official guidance from Apple Legal:

"iTunes Match is provided on an “AS IS” basis and may contain errors or inaccuracies that could cause failures, corruption or loss of data and/or information, including music, playlist, and play history, from your computer or device and from peripherals (including, without limitation, servers and other computers) connected thereto. You should back up all data and information on your computer or device and any peripherals prior to using iTunes Match. You expressly acknowledge and agree that all use of iTunes Match is at your sole risk."

Ed

Aug 1, 2013 1:14 AM in response to ed2345

Another option that I have done is to burn" music" CDs and then re-rip MP3 files from those music CDs.

I only had 3 albums that had DRM, and I didn't mind having the CDs for these, so it wasn't a big deal. Also, they were all kids music, so not overly concerned on the quality. But in my quick tests thus far, I haven't noticed any degradation.

There are converters out there as well, but I decided this was the path of least resistance for me.

Sep 9, 2013 1:36 PM in response to Yank7

I'm trying to update my music files also as some of them were downloaded before 2009 so I can put them on my android phone. So I should back up all my files (again) before using itunes match....From the sound of it, itunes match does not sound very great for updating music files. Is there really no other way to properly update older music files without making them mp3 files? Id perfer if they were the same format that they are =).

Sep 9, 2013 1:42 PM in response to gattlingcombo

So I should back up all my files (again) before using itunes match....

Keeping a backup of your content is always a good idea.

From the sound of it, itunes match does not sound very great for updating music files. Is there really no other way to properly update older music files without making them mp3 files?

iTunes Match is the only way now to upgrade tracks purchased at 128kbps and with DRM. Otherwise all you can do is burn your existing tracks to audio CD, which then works just as would any other audio CD.

Regards.

Sep 9, 2013 1:59 PM in response to varjak paw

I'm not saying backing up data is a bad thing, I backed up my files when I moved files over to another computer and to an android phone. It is frustrating to find out that I have to back up all the files again because I added like 3 songs to my library and because itunes match is an "as is" service. Apparently there is no other way around it. I just personally like my digital music files in the format that I'd like. 128kpbs DRM music files in my library are just...a horribly crappy inconvience guess. I assume itunes match will improve in the future right?? It does not sound like apple to have a service with such unstable features.

Sep 9, 2013 2:26 PM in response to gattlingcombo

The "as is" is legalspeak that protects a company's keister. From what I've read, iTunes Match is pretty reliable, though as with any such service there have been glitches from time to time, as there have with Netflix, Spotify, or any other online media provider. The recommendation about backups is in case something does go wrong and iTunes Match goes off line for a while, or in case a content owner removes their content from the iTunes Store which could then make it unavailable.

Regards.

Feb 25, 2015 7:33 AM in response to varjak paw

The only thing I'd add to this (I posted elsewhere, someone linked to it), is that the advice that you can "purchase songs singly" if you only have a few no longer seems to be operative. I see no way of buying a non-DRM song if I already own the DRM version. ITunes store sees that I own it, and does not offer the option to repurchase in the new format.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.