Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not as described

This is the first time that an Apple product does not work as I expected in almost 20 years. I have tried everything with my Apple TV3. Moved the router, checked its settings, fine-tuned it, wrote emails to my ISP, downloaded iStumbler, connected the ATV3 to the router via Ethernet, changed the HDTV settings, switched TVs, switched HDMI cables, restarted, restored, changed settings in several software updates, tried 720p instead of 1080p, put the ATV3 higher, then lower, near the TV, away from the TV. In the meantime, mirrored from the iPad, streamed music and photos from the MBP, watched Vimeo, YouTube, movie trailers, movies from internet sites, read these discussions since December, while still getting al least 3 or 5 interruptions (buffering?) during each video session; OK some videos are very short and I can watch 'non interruptus.'

What is Apple TV good for? Not sure, but I think that my next Apple product will be a fast, reliable computer that I will hook up directly to the HDTV. Problem solved.

Apple TV

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 11:02 AM

12 replies

Feb 8, 2013 2:46 PM in response to macarra

>but I think that my next Apple product will be a fast, reliable computer that I will hook up directly

>to the HDTV. Problem solved.

Not really since you have a network issue of some kind. Changing out the hardware will not change that. Are you trying to play content from your local instance of iTunes the iTunes Store ( iCloud )? Is the content bought from the iTunes store or some other source?

Feb 8, 2013 7:55 PM in response to Brian Cook4

My network is in good shape. As you can read on many of these discussions, people are going nuts because this Apple product depends on too many factors, TV, wifi, cables, internet signal, equipment, sofware, location, neighbors, so complicated and so easy to ruin entertainment. I haven't decided the kind of content I want to stream because it fails constantly. Only music from iTunes so far. TV episodes from websites like tve.es.

Feb 9, 2013 5:59 AM in response to vazandrew

iStumbler gives my wifi a 71% and no other information that I recognize. Speedtest depends, low from the MBP, high if measured from iPad. DNS is enabled. I agree with network concerns but I see other people buying super modems and still having issues. Maybe I should have my ISP test the line and the equipment or upgrade.

Mar 22, 2013 12:28 PM in response to macarra

macarra wrote:

What do you suggest to do next?

What kind of content is this? Home made video? iTunes rentals? other such as Vimeo?

Try rewinding a little - if the stuttering happens at the same spot it's likely an encoding issue that's reproducible.

If it plays ok the next time then a network or AppleTV issue would seem likely.

AppleTV 2 and 3 rarely if ever stutter for me.

Personally if you've not tried it I would eliminate wifi as the cause - either by using ethernet (even if not permanently feasible assuming you have a long enough cable) or by getting a pair of main powerline network adapters - I've used Devolo adapters for years and think they're great and cure many wifi reliability issues.

AC

Mar 29, 2013 2:39 PM in response to Alley_Cat

It's everything: songs, YouTube, Vimeo, trailers, stuff mirrored from the iPad, even the Photo Stream, plays fine and suddenly it hiccups for a couple seconds and it gos back to playing the content. This Apple TV is not worth my frustration and will not ruin my passion for Apple products, because I'm getting rid of it. Thanks for your input.

not as described

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.