Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flash disabled (again???) ... apple disables software on their users mac???

i know, flash is not the most secure and reliable software on macs... i also understand that apple wants their macs to be as reliable and secure as possible. but honestly i feel very uncomfortable knowing that apple is disabling software on my mac wich i installed for a reason.

so here is the question: to make me responsible for the security of my mac again... how do i prevent apple from disabling plugins?

just to understand how apple changes things on my system, do they disable/uninstall other things too???

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 10:52 AM

Apple blocks third-party extensions when there are serious security issues, and there are serious security issues with older Flash versions that are being using to hack PCs and Macs. That's the reason.

If you don't want to update the XProtect file (it contains the plugin blocks), open System Preferences > Software Update, and untick "Install system data files and security updates". I'm not completely sure that it works with that file, but you can try this

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2013 10:52 AM in response to Arrvee

Apple blocks third-party extensions when there are serious security issues, and there are serious security issues with older Flash versions that are being using to hack PCs and Macs. That's the reason.

If you don't want to update the XProtect file (it contains the plugin blocks), open System Preferences > Software Update, and untick "Install system data files and security updates". I'm not completely sure that it works with that file, but you can try this

Feb 8, 2013 10:55 AM in response to Arrvee

There is a RED ALERT advisory out this morning due to severe system compromises stemming from an out-in-the-wild vulnerability discovered today. Adobe has put out an emergency update for Flash that MUST be installed ASAP. If the Flash panel in System Preferences isn't working right, download and install manually from:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Latest (as of 13:00 CST 2/8/2013) is 11.5.502.149

Flash disabled (again???) ... apple disables software on their users mac???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.