Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I save an emailed photo to iPhoto

When I select the option to "Add to iPhoto" in Mail, nothing happens. Am I missing something?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 12:37 PM

1. Drag the photo from mail to iPhoto with a left-click and hold while dragging it to hover over the iPhoto icon on your Dock. iPhoto should open and the image will import; OR

2. Right-click the photo and select Download Image. This will usually download it to your Downloads folder unless you have set something else up. Go to your Downloads folder and find the photo then either drag it from there to iPhoto per the above instruction OR right-click on it and select Open With - iPhoto; OR

3. Right-click the photo and select Download Image. This will usually download it to your Downloads folder unless you have set something else up. Open iPhoto and select File - Import to Library. Finder should open. Go to the Downloads folder (or wherever you saved the photo to) and select it to import.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2013 12:37 PM in response to jane5047

1. Drag the photo from mail to iPhoto with a left-click and hold while dragging it to hover over the iPhoto icon on your Dock. iPhoto should open and the image will import; OR

2. Right-click the photo and select Download Image. This will usually download it to your Downloads folder unless you have set something else up. Go to your Downloads folder and find the photo then either drag it from there to iPhoto per the above instruction OR right-click on it and select Open With - iPhoto; OR

3. Right-click the photo and select Download Image. This will usually download it to your Downloads folder unless you have set something else up. Open iPhoto and select File - Import to Library. Finder should open. Go to the Downloads folder (or wherever you saved the photo to) and select it to import.

Feb 8, 2013 3:56 PM in response to jane5047

I think I now understand the problem you are having. I did a test photo email and sure enough, when I selected the Add to iPhoto option under the Save that appears in the top of the Mail Message (the one beside Quick Look for an attachment), iPhoto did not open and the photo did not "Add to iPhoto".

The way that I got it to "Add to iPhoto" was to first left-click Quick Look. At the top of the Quick Look of the photo there is a button that says Open with Preview. Instead of left-clicking on this, I right-clicked on it and a menu appeared with the "Add to iPhoto" option here. I selected it from here, iPhoto opened and the photo added fine.

Not sure why the "Add to iPhoto" does not work from the Save menu in the email message in Mail but it does work from the Quick Look menu. At any rate, this is yet another option for saving emailed photos to iPhoto.

Feb 8, 2013 3:58 PM in response to Eric Root

FYI - I sent this message to jane5047:

I think I now understand the problem you are having. I did a test photo email and sure enough, when I selected the Add to iPhoto option under the Save that appears in the top of the Mail Message (the one beside Quick Look for an attachment), iPhoto did not open and the photo did not "Add to iPhoto".

The way that I got it to "Add to iPhoto" was to first left-click Quick Look. At the top of the Quick Look of the photo there is a button that says Open with Preview. Instead of left-clicking on this, I right-clicked on it and a menu appeared with the "Add to iPhoto" option here. I selected it from here, iPhoto opened and the photo added fine.

Not sure why the "Add to iPhoto" does not work from the Save menu in the email message in Mail but it does work from the Quick Look menu. At any rate, this is yet another option for saving emailed photos to iPhoto.

how do I save an emailed photo to iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.