Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5th Gen. 32GB iPod Touch - Extremely Short Battery Life

I have a brand new 32GB iPod Touch 5th Generation that I purchased at the end of last December. My issue is that the battery drains overnight: I fully charge it, listen to music for an hour, and then turn it off and go to sleep. The next morning, the battery is absolutely empty: it can not turn on unless I plug it in because it has absolutely no energy.

I've done some research and have already tried several suggestions. Airplane mode is on (so wifi and bluetooth are off), any applications (I have two besides those that came preloaded) have been removed from the notification center, the brightness is all the way down, and the multi-task bar is empty except for "Settings" and "Music". I tried searching on my computer for an app to test average battery life and analyze if you need a new battery (this was another suggestions in this community) but couldn't find one. I am at a loss. I also do not think this should be a problem: I have a 32GB iPod Classic and an older, 32GB iPod Touch. Both of these last overnight, turned off, on a single full charge. They can also last a 6 hour trip. I ordered this as a replacement only because both of those had the audio jacks wear out. I'm going to feel a little jipped if a much smaller battery life is what I'll be paying for a newer, improved generation and operating system.

Does anyone have any advice or tips that I have not tried? Thanks in advance for all your help.

iPod touch, iOS 6.1

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 1:08 PM

Hello,

I don't know exactly how to fix the issue but I would maybe try charging your iPod touch for one entire day without any use at all. This worked for me when I did this and then I barely ever have to get a charger.

The device I am using is the exact model as yours, a 5th generation iPod touch with 32GB. One other question for you: do you have any applications on your iPod? You should also check what stuff is taking the most battery. You can find this by going to Settings, General, Usage. You will be able to see what stuff is taking the most storage.

Again, I don't know exactly how to fix this. Sorry, I'm just trying as best as I can.

Update 1: I was browsing on the Apple site and found the battery life for the iPod touch 5g

Audio playback

Up to 40 hours

Video playback

Up to 8 hours

Charge time for the iPod touch 5 is:

About 4 hours
(2-hour fast charge to 80%)

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2013 1:08 PM in response to Meowsicle

Hello,

I don't know exactly how to fix the issue but I would maybe try charging your iPod touch for one entire day without any use at all. This worked for me when I did this and then I barely ever have to get a charger.

The device I am using is the exact model as yours, a 5th generation iPod touch with 32GB. One other question for you: do you have any applications on your iPod? You should also check what stuff is taking the most battery. You can find this by going to Settings, General, Usage. You will be able to see what stuff is taking the most storage.

Again, I don't know exactly how to fix this. Sorry, I'm just trying as best as I can.

Update 1: I was browsing on the Apple site and found the battery life for the iPod touch 5g

Audio playback

Up to 40 hours

Video playback

Up to 8 hours

Charge time for the iPod touch 5 is:

About 4 hours
(2-hour fast charge to 80%)

Feb 8, 2013 1:13 PM in response to Superluigi6

I only have two applications besides those that came preloaded and were not removable. I've checked usage but don't understand how the storage uses my battery. As far as the "Time since last full charge" section, the Usage is 53 minutes, the Standby is 53 minutes, and it says the "iPod has been plugged in since the last full charge."

Mar 7, 2014 1:12 PM in response to Meowsicle

A late check-in:

I see that this thread has gotten my views so I wanted to let everyone know that my problem was resolved. Sadly, the solution wasn't a simple, at-home fix. After finding no new avenues on the internet, I had to contact Apple. I ended up sending my iPod to them for a replacement battery and, because my iPod was new, the replacement was covered. Now, with the exact same apps and usage, the battery stays charged and runs for hours before needing to be charged again. I hope this helps someone.

Mar 7, 2014 8:38 PM in response to Cåts

Well, my problem was not charging whole 4 hours. It always charges to 100% in 20-30 minutes but you have to keep it plugged in for 4 hours. That made it a little better, and turns out this is the normal duration for iPods right now. Its little better but Apple should make it last longer for sure in next gen.

Mar 7, 2014 9:38 PM in response to samhaque

Samhaque, from what I've read, when the battery is down to 20% or more, it should be charged fully for 4 hours...and possibley left to charge just a bit longer.

Yours charges to full capacity in 20-30 minutes? From below 20%? That can't be normal could it?

I know that a fast charge of 2 hours will give about an 80% full charge. Right?

Yes, keeping it plugged in for 4 hours makes a difference. My iPod Touch 2nd Gen, has been in sleep mode for days and is still at 100%.

I'm doing the test right now, that Illass suggested the thread that I started)... https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5971417?answerId=25100701022#25100701022

Charged it fully (and also reset it), and I've had a Youtube video playing since just past 8 pm.(EST) It's 12:38 A.M. EST now.

It's still playing. It should play for about 8 hours. It looks like it will 🙂

Feeling hopeful about my iPod. 🙂

Perhaps Apple needs to make an update to the IOS 7!

Mar 8, 2014 3:42 PM in response to Cåts

rockeeeeeee Thanks a lot, wow I think my problems are not over then.

Yes it goes to 100% from below 20% just in about 30 minutes of charging (maybe 40 but definitely not over an hour), this is why I used to unplug after this time. My research showed this was common for many people so I wasn't worried, until now.

Do you have messeging apps, Mail and other apps sending alerts while iPod is sleeping for few days? Mine would go down to like 50% in 48 hours or so in sleep mode, without me unlocking and using even once. This is not good now it seems.

I'm going to do that test you mentioned. But I think I really should take it to the Apple store!

This Youtube test you're doing, isn't it also using wifi constantly? I think Apple's benchmark is done with a low-res video with wifi OFF or inactive. Isn't it? If your wifi+video test can go on for 4 hours then you have a freaky hyperchargeable battery! Lucky you.

Please let me know how it goes and what that means in the end.

Mar 9, 2014 6:35 PM in response to samhaque

samhaque, with the Youtube App playing continuously, you must use wifi. Make sure to do the test after a full charge. Not a 4 hour charge but a 5 hour charge.

I only use iMessage and Mail ... no games or anything. All settings set to reduce battery. (but then what's the point?)

Give it a try. Find a video, after you fully charge, get the Youtube app, and play it, over and over for hours- I got 5.5 hours and had to turn it off because I had to go to sleep. But that means it passed the test.

Perhaps I'm used to my iPad and older 2nd Gen iPod.

Mar 9, 2014 8:17 PM in response to Cåts

I'm seeing pretty significant improvements, after turning off LOCATION SERVICE and AUTO UPDATE. Wifi was on overnight so it ate some battery but not like before.

I think Auto Update is the culprit for me, yesterday there were like 20+ updates, I have too many apps really, and most of them seem to be updating way too often. Tonight I'll try wifi off overnight and see what happens. Will try the video thing tomorrow.

Bluetooth, background refresh, extra motion thing, they've been off since day one. I can't sacrifice any more features.

Mar 9, 2014 9:00 PM in response to samhaque

samhaque, I don't do any auto updates. I make sure wifi is off and have mail set for me to do it manually.

Wifi is a drain, for sure. I just put an app on my iPod, called Battery Saver, and it let's you see what is draining the battery. It's pretty interesting. It rates by level of battery drain - and shows where the problems are. It is packed with features and is free. Here's a link if you're interested.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battery-saver-improve-battery/id615987910?mt=8

I've also had all the refresh, motion thing, location services, etc, off since day one.

I don't even have a lot of apps on my iPod. I know that iPod started out as a music device. I have to remember that and I keep my fun apps on the iPad.

Reading more on the iPod Touch 5, it's been compared to the iPhone 5's, so it really does make sense.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out with your iPod!😁🙂😝😉

5th Gen. 32GB iPod Touch - Extremely Short Battery Life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.