Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2006 Upgrade Question

Hello, I'll make it quick..

Just picked up a 6 year old 2006 MacBook Pro A1150 (1,1), thought it was a good deal..

Having problems restoring to Leopard or Snow Leopard on my own 500GB HDD after fitting it and removing the original 80GB drive, and can't even consider Mountain Lion as the machine has a Core Duo. :-(

Wondering if I bought a logic/main board from the first 15" MacBook Pro released with a Core2Duo chip and replaced the one in this MacBook Pro if that would be a poasible solution and enable me to use this machine as a more modern Mac alongside my new 13" Pro.

Would really love to hear opinions, this old MBP from 2006 is a beautiful machine, perfect condition for the age and snappy on Snow Leopard on the 80GB HDD it came with. Payed £250 here in the UK for it, would like to upgrade the RAM to 4GB as well as I hear it is possible.

Let me know what you think on any part of this question!

Thanks,

SB

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 7:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 11:11 PM

Welcome to discussions Shane.

I am very doubtful that a logicboard form a different model Macbook would fit. You can expect mountaing screws, parts to be in different places changing clearences, etc.. You can reasearch it more carefully on a place that sells Apple replacement parts as their main business. Also, you can expect to pay at least another £250 for the logic board so I can not see how it would be cost effective. (I looked up cost at a reputable parts suplier where you can be sure of a tested and working board; and for your A1150, never mind a newer one, they were £250 to £300.)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2013 11:11 PM in response to ShaneBunting

Welcome to discussions Shane.

I am very doubtful that a logicboard form a different model Macbook would fit. You can expect mountaing screws, parts to be in different places changing clearences, etc.. You can reasearch it more carefully on a place that sells Apple replacement parts as their main business. Also, you can expect to pay at least another £250 for the logic board so I can not see how it would be cost effective. (I looked up cost at a reputable parts suplier where you can be sure of a tested and working board; and for your A1150, never mind a newer one, they were £250 to £300.)

Feb 8, 2013 11:43 PM in response to ShaneBunting

The 1,1 model (I had one) will only use up to 2GB of RAM - so there's no use in even looking at putting 4GB in the machine.

And the logic board can't be uprgaded - only replaced with the same logic board. If the machine is working 'as is' and if you've a new 13", I wouldn't bother doing anything to the machine except maybe replacing the HD and maximizing the RAM to 2GB.

I sold my 2006 1,1 last April after I purchased a late 2011 15" in March. Hated to see it go, but I just had to move on...

Clinton

MacBook Pro 2006 Upgrade Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.