Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootable external HDD for Windows Install

Hello,

So basically I dont have an optical drive to install windows, I have downloaded the .iso file from MSDN, its windows 7 Home Premium x64.

How can I install it? I have an option in boot camp assistant to make my External HDD a windows install capable drive, I have ticked it and it just doesnt work, it copied all the files it need, but when i try to boot from it, it doesnt show up.

How could I install windows ? I have only this external HD connected via USB.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 1:22 AM

7 replies

Feb 9, 2013 4:17 AM in response to mende1

Yeah, I've gone into bootcamp contents and hacked it a litte, so it does the job. But my mac wont boot from it.

I tried to partition it with windows, then copy the iso's contents but doesnt helped.

I dont want to buy an external just to use it once, I heard that windows 7 can be installed from USB drives, so its better to solve the problem than just spend money because something doesnt work.

Bootable external HDD for Windows Install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.